Anyone Go Over The USA/Canada Boarder with their water foul?(PICS)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, May 21, 2011.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm debating on taking my Sebastopol goose with us on vacation in August to Sault. St. Marie Onterio, and was wondering if anyone has brought 1 or more of their water foul over the boarder without any problems or if you need a health certificate as you would bringing a mammal over. Do you know what the rules/regulations are on water fowel/poultry to cross over and back? Sebastian has had some seperation anxiety from me over the last 2 days since I've been gone and I worry what he may do if I'm gone to long, neighbors aren't appreciating hs protest to me being gone and his happiness yet anxiousness to make sure I'm within eye sight of him. Plus he sure is a hoot to be around. Love that goose!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm sure there are some regulations you would have to follow if it is allowed. I'm not up on that sort of thing, but maybe somebody else is.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Call the USDA veterinarian. He will know what the shipping regulations are for the different countries.

I suspect you will have to have a health certificate and most likely a NPIP certificate and bird flu test. But I'm just guessing.

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    You will need to be NPIP certified and need various tests done. The health certificate is only good for 30 days after being issued as well. Thats what you need to get from the US to Canada, not sure if it has any value to getting the goose back into the US tho, might have to get seperate papers for that since I doubt they make pet passports for waterfowl like they do for dogs/cats/horses(those "temporary stay" papers, haven't even seen that option when I apply for healthpapers for any fowl I want to bring up. for other livestock yes but not fowl).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by