Anyone going to farmshow PA in january?

mich9510

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Southwest PA
I have a friend who is taking her lamb and I was thinking of taking some of my chickens. I've never showed before but I thought it would be a heck of a way to get my feet wet. I guess that would be mor like diving in to the world of poultry shows head first.

Pennsylvania took precautions against the highly pathogenic avian influenza, a virus that killed off flocks in 2015 in the western part of the country.

State Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding suspended all avian competitions at the Farm Show in 2016. Poultry is a very large industry in PA and must be protected. No cases of avian flu have been reported in Pennsylvania. In June 2015, the state enacted precautionary interstate quarantine establishing strict testing requirements on shipments of domesticated poultry and eggs from states with cases of avian influenza. It is unclear about allowing birds at the 2017 show. Be prepared for very large vet bills if birds are allowed and you decide to show.

You did not state your age. During the 2016 Farm Show, children took part in a Youth Bird-Less Poultry Showmanship competition in which they were allowed to bring in five photos of their bird, give a presentation and answer questions.

To keep youths engaged in the poultry industry, Penn State Extension recommended educational posters or Youth Bird-Less Poultry Showmanship competitions.

Back
Top Bottom