Anyone good at deciphering breed and sex?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by knynrstylvr222, May 6, 2008.

1. knynrstylvr222

knynrstylvr222 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    My chick pipped this am, but im not even sure about breed. My egg is a rescue and so i really dont know anything except the basics the egg is a very light brown almost a natural colour. Once it hatches and I can take it out of my bator, I will post pics but just wanted something to work with I know certain breeds lay certain colored eggs so just wondering.

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    There are so many breeds that lay brown eggs...I wouldn't doubt that there are more then 50 breeds that do. You'll have to post picks for us to even begin guessing.

3. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    [​IMG]
    that is the egg, you can see that it is like a yellowish light brown color and not too big. Any ideas yet?? even just a couple possiblilities, and I will have pics posted when it hatches.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    You never know............You may be hatching the worlds largest.....................alligator!!!! [​IMG]

5. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Thank goodness i do know it is a chicken, because it did pip today and its making chicken sounds not gator sounds:cool: when I have pics of the chick will it be any easier, or will I have to wait to figure out the breed?? If I have to wait, how long??

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You said you rescued the egg? Where exactly did you get it? Or from whom?

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I meant a pic of the chick...lol. [​IMG]

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    It sure looks like a chicken egg to me...and a 50% chance its a roo. LOL. If you are gonna hatch eggs you must learn patience...Show us pics of the fuzzy cutie when it comes out! [​IMG]

10. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Sry no chick yet LOL, I have a patience problem I was expecting the thing to hatch saturday. I rescued the egg from my biology class, we were disecting them at about 2 days of development (im a college student) after all the classes had had an opportunity to disect one, they were gonna trash them so I rescued one (im in a dorm so I couldnt take too many otherwise I would have saved them all) LOL As soon as it hatches, I will post pics then maybe you can tell me what breed it is??? I just wanted to have some kind of idea cause unfortunately i wont be able to keep it forever [​IMG] so I know someone who keeps a small flock of free roam chickens for laying and I wanted to tell her something intelligent, but i guess she will have to wait too. LOL Thanks guys I did learn one thing it looks like a chicken egg!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by