Anyone good at sexing Buff Standard Brahmas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie-is-obsessed, May 25, 2010.

1. chickie-is-obsessed

chickie-is-obsessed In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Belleville, Ontario
    My chicks are 4 weeks old tomorrow. When do you think I should be able to sex them?

Thanks everyone!! I will try and take some pics but if anyone has any tried and true "the feathers are like this on a pullet and like this on a roo" or anything to do with the combs I would really appreciate it.

I simply have no patience!!! Why didn't I order a certain number of hens and a few roos? Newbie learning curve!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If you can post some pics, I should be able to help you out; although waiting till 6 weeks old on the brahmas is a safer bet.
    PM me when you get your pics up and I'll take a look, 'k?

Here's the criteria I use:

according to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

3. chickie-is-obsessed

chickie-is-obsessed In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Belleville, Ontario
    Quote:If you can post some pics, I should be able to help you out; although waiting till 6 weeks old on the brahmas is a safer bet.
    PM me when you get your pics up and I'll take a look, 'k?

Here's the criteria I use:

according to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

Thank you!! I will have a closer look and I'll try and take some pictures. The little buggers hardly stand still!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by