Anyone Got A Good Audiobook Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I just got a free book credit from an audiobook website I belong to. I can choose any audiobook free. Times are hard right now, so I really want to choose this little treat carefully.

Types of books I'm interested in are (in no particular order of preference):

religious comparisons/debates/discussions

evolution and/or evolution vs. creation theories

self improvement

world affairs

history (especially US Colonial era)

biographies on influential figures

nutrition & health

social sciences

some military topics

modern philosophy/new ideas

self sufficient living and/or 'green' topics

home improvement/DIY

other non-fiction

I am NOT interested in any fiction, crime stories, romance novels, etc. It's gotta be something I can learn from. I also am not interested in poetry or literary classics, as I already have hundreds of those in real book form.

If you know of a good book, please post it. I can easily look it up to see if there's an audio version of it. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well I'm not a history buff, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Flyboys, by James Bradley. It's about WWII, and does a fantastic job (IMO) not only of covering the events/history leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor, but giving you multiple perspectives and personal accounts. It is a bit brutal at times, but that's the way it was.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I haven't listened to anything on your list, I'm a SF & Fantasy nut. but before you buy listen to the reader, some are very hard to listen to. I've got over 40 audible books, love it when I'm cleaning coops.

4. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:They do have it on audio, unabridged, which I prefer, and I just listened to a generous sample narrated by the author. Sounds very interesting. Will definitely put it on my saved maybe list, thanks!

5. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I'm an audiobook nut, I ALWAYS listen to the audio samples first. You are right, some narrators ruin the book depending on their voice and how they read it. I like to listen to my audiobooks at bedtime.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I like Kim Harrison, Rachel Morgan series, they switched readers on the 5th book, I had to read, not listen to that one, couldn't handle the reader, i checked out other things she has read just as bad. Its one of those voices that grates on you, like nails on a black board

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Okay...another one, but I doubt they have it. If you read hard copy books or ebooks, you might consider it sometime anyhow. Once more, I'm not a history person - I generally read the opposite of you...lol. I've always found history stuff fairly boring myself. So for a historical book to grab/hold my attention says a lot. This one's on WWII also: In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis by Doug Stanton. This ship (and incident) was important for many reasons. Once more, graphic at times, but that's the way it was. And as horrible as the descriptions were, I found it so interesting, learning what salt water can do to the human body. Ever read the Lemony Snickets' kids book series - A Series of Unfortunate Events??? Well this story sure was a series of unfortunate events.

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thanks, but nope, they don't have that one. They do have another by the same author called "Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan", I'll check it out.

What I'd really like to find is a book on religious differences and comparisons. I read about all kinds of world religions, and I'd enjoy one book that summarizes, debates, or compares various religions, but haven't been able to find anything like that on audio. Or books on evolution and/or evolution vs. creation theories.

Let me know if you think of anything else, I appreciate it!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Evolution, by Stephen Baxter
    Not sure if its on audio book though.
    Ever hear of it? [​IMG]

10. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson. It was fab!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by