anyone got advice??...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emunk80, Jun 25, 2010.

1. emunk80

emunk80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    i have 36 izzy and red buff pheasant eggs due today i been trying to leave the incubator alone as much as possible since i raised the humidity and stopped turning them. i also found out i might of stopped turning a day too early i read you can stop turning them up to 4 days ahead which is how long its been so i got some questions.
    1is it okay i opened the incubator today (they are due today) and checked a couple for any activity?
    2 is it okay i stopped turning them possilby a day or 2 too early?
    3 i candled the eggs and they look full except the air sac but none have pipped the air sac yet think there still gonna make it?

i followed the hovabator manual exactly aexcept i couldnt test humidity but a guy said just fill the small trough then 3 days b4 fill the big trough too and your humidity will be as close as you can get it to perfect probably.

ANY INPUTTTTTTT!!!!??? im freakin out i was pexpecting a pipped egg or 2 today...

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    You won't necessarily doom them by opening the incubator once, but try to leave it closed now. Every time you open it, you let out humidity.

Humidity in the final lock down days is just as important as temperature, in my experience. Too much and they drown. Not enough and they are too dry to get out. For future hatches, please pick up a $7 hygrometer at Wal-Mart. It gives a digital temp and humidity read out and will prevent you from having to be so concerned about that.

It's can be fine to possibly stop turning them a day or so too early. I wouldn't do it intentionally, but I do not think that necessarily dooms them to die or not hatch.

They still have time to pip the air cell. Just leave them be. I know nothing about pheasants, but I assume the process is the same or similar to chickens, guineas, quail and ducks, which I've incubated all at one time or another.

Patience is a virtue. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by