Anyone got any fertiized chicken eggs that are willing to give away.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Elliemaeburt, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Elliemaeburt

Elliemaeburt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    I just have got the incubator and ready to try it out. Just wondering if anyone had any fertile eggs that they are willing to give away for a first timer. I just want about three or four. Please let me know. Thank you.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi and welcome!
    You might want to put your location in the subject line so people near you can have you pick up if they want to give you eggs.
    Maybe offering to pay for shipping would be nice too. [​IMG]

3. Elliemaeburt

Elliemaeburt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    Thank you for the tip. I am new at this. My location is Dallas, Ga. Am willing to make any arrangements or even meet to pick eggs. I am willing to purchase if they are fertile.

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Elliemaeburt, I am in Cartersville, Ga. I have a Heritage Delaware Rooster in a coop with 3 BO hens, 3 Blue Rock, 2 Black Rock and 1 Hertitage Delaware hen. I would be glad to save you a dozen eggs and meet you somewhere. Keep in mind that with the exception of whatever the Delaware hen laid, these would be "mixed breeds", but should lay well and could be very pretty. I am leaving for Fla (business) today and will be back Wed night. Please advise if interested so I can save and not refrigerate these.

Thanks

5. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    6 eggs is better....12 even better yet.
    Hatching is addictive.
    I started with one incubator and then needed 2.... [​IMG]
    Incubators look really good with more eggs.... [​IMG]

Have fun!

6. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    farrier! :

6 eggs is better....12 even better yet.
    Hatching is addictive.
    I started with one incubator and then needed 2.... [​IMG]
    Incubators look really good with more eggs.... [​IMG]

Have fun!

What farrier! said. The you get that feeling that there just aren't enough in the incubator and you actually NEED more...LOL An insidious addiction I tell you! [​IMG]

7. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    I would suggest trying to get local eggs for your test hatch because shipped eggs often have low hatch rates.

If you can't find anyone on BYC close to you try your local farmers markets where people sell farm fresh eggs. Usually they are fertile and if they had been cooled you can ask them for some fresh ones, they'll usually be glad to help out!

You can use cooled eggs. I put 3 dozen eggs in last week, most of them had been cooled ( in the fridge), less than 1 dozen hadn't been, and I only had 10 of them did not start. I set them out for a day to warm and settle before putting them in. I got them from a local guy here in town!

Good luck on your new addiction!

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Quote:What farrier! said. The you get that feeling that there just aren't enough in the incubator and you actually NEED more...LOL An insidious addiction I tell you! [​IMG]

Yes what they both have mentioned. Then it gets to where buying those styrofoam bators are too darn expensive and take up a lot of room, that you decide to build one to hold ALOT of eggs, thinking ...you'll never fill it up..until...you actually DO. That's when you know its bad...LOL

9. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    My DH doesn't know how many incubators we have (hee hee). I don't think he wants to really as it would be too stressful for him....

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I can send you some mixed (rare) birds...the only others I have that are laying that are pure are my Sumatras & my mille fleur project birds but I cannot give those away....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by