1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone got any pictures to educate someone with?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McCord6, Sep 19, 2009.

1. I been trying to tell hubby that it's important to keep monitoring the temp and humidity. He carelessly says "oh they will be fine no matter what"

Can anyone post pictures of what will happen if it gets too much humidity/temp, or not enough to EDUCATE him?!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    sorry, but I was too busy trying not to barf when the rotten egg exploded.

3. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    to much humidity and your chicks drown in the shell.
    to little humidity and they can't seperate from the shell lining.
    let him know that if it's not kept right, THE CHICKS DIE... it's just as simple as that.
    as far as getting the humidity right, you can get a temp/humidity gauge at wally world for about $10. look for one in the lawn or hardware sections.

good luck [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Just say "Its ok, if they dont hatch I can get plenty more of them on Ebay!"

He will make his own pictures....... I know I would.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Pictures is hard... reason being... they just don't hatch. So less or no chicks is all you have to show. Isn't going to cause deformities or anything "weird", it just won't work well and you may have chicks that are weak or slow to hatch.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I no longer have the pics of two of my chicks from my last hatch were the temp was too high.

Both had curled toes.

MONITOR!

7. NatalieB

NatalieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Ashby, MA
    Just say "Its ok, if they dont hatch I can get plenty more of them on Ebay!"

He will make his own pictures....... I know I would.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    We had a 4 1/2 day power outage. The ones closest to hatch did not make it. I did save some that were not so far along in the hatch.
    This should be the thumnail you can click on then get the big picture.
    [​IMG]

9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You know, he's probably basing his thinking on the fact that people have hatched eggs artificially for centuries under all sorts of conditions, often far from ideal. So it's easy to think well, if they managed with all those problems then we have nothing to worry about.

And to a certain extent, he's right. After all, the worst that will happen is your chicks won't hatch. It's not like you'll starve to death because you don't have chicks.

On the other hand, why take the chance? Eggs that are incubated with care and attention have much higher hatch percentages. You *might* have some success just by setting them in there and forgetting about them for 21 days. But you're MUCH MORE likely to have *good* success with higher hatch rates if you monitor carefully.

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

It's not like you'll starve to death because you don't have chicks.

This sorta hit me weird? It just hit me that just because we see this as a hobby does not mean that the next person on here is not fighting to feed there family. I have got hits from 21 countrys on my website mostly hunting info on incubators an how to build them. BYC has to get a lot more. An with the economy the way it is, its becoming more than a hobby to many here in the states too.

Sorry off topic.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by