Anyone got pictures of Light Brahma x Black Jersey Giant crosses? Chicks especially?

froggyphore

Songster
Sep 20, 2019
I have a chick that is either LB x BJG or LB x Dominique and I'm trying to see which and what they might look like grown up. Thanks :)

You could post photos of the chick, and all possible parents. That is usually the fastest way to get a definitive answer.

But from the information you have given:
Is the Light Brahma the father or the mother?

For the breeds you listed, any chicks should have large amounts of black, with or without white barring. If the chick is all white, or has large amounts of red or gold, then something weird is going on.

--If the chick has white barring on black feathers, it has a Dominique parent. Such chicks hatch with a light spot on top of their head, with the rest of their down having a lot of black in it.

--If the chick is a male, and has black with no white barring, it does not have a Dominique parent, so it must have come from the Black Jersey Giant.

--If the chick is female, and has black with no white barring, it does not have a Dominique father. It might have a Dominique mother, or it might have a Black Jersey Giant parent of either gender. In that case, check the chick's comb type. If the chick has a walnut comb (wide, like a rose comb is wide) it has a Dominique parent. If the comb is single, pea, or modified pea, you still can't be sure either way.

You could post photos of the chick, and all possible parents. That is usually the fastest way to get a definitive answer.
Thank you for the detailed response! I can't get pics of them all right now (they like to hang out under the coop a lot) but I'll try soon. The chick is all black except for some white bibbing and down on the wing tips and yellow on the comb and feet bottoms. The comb area is flat so far. Their mature wing feathers (so far) are all black. I forgot to include the genders lol the father is LB, possible mothers are Dom and BJG.

Thank you for the detailed response! I can't get pics of them all right now (they like to hang out under the coop a lot) but I'll try soon. The chick is all black except for some white bibbing and down on the wing tips and yellow on the comb and feet bottoms. The comb area is flat so far. Their mature wing feathers (so far) are all black. I forgot to include the genders lol the father is LB, possible mothers are Dom and BJG.

If the chick does not have a white or yellow spot on top of the head, it is probably not barred. Occasionally the spot is small enough to go unnoticed, but if the wing feathers are all black that is an extra confirmation that the chick does not have barring.

With the Dominique being a hen, an unbarred chick cannot be her son. It could be her daughter, or could be either gender from the Black Jersey Giant.

A "flat" comb often means the rose comb gene is present (from Dominique), but it can be hard to tell when chicks are really tiny. So that's something to keep an eye on as the chick grows.

Back
Top Bottom