Anyone gotten Ideal Poultry's Phoenixes (Phoeneces?) before?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rosalind, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    DH, now having been charmed by Ailsa's rooster Sparrow, has decided to take an interest in chickens, and he announced that he wants a couple-two-three Phoenix roosters. Mostly as artist's models, as he is an artist by trade. I explained that there was a certain amount of hen-ness involved so as not to mess up the whole gender balance thing, and he sort of shrugged.

For the life of me I cannot find any local longtail breeders. Links I find online via Google are all broken/404. Ideal seems to have the best variety of longtails of all the hatcheries. I'm going to some farm animal type fairs in September, October, so I'll look then, but do you guys know of any longtail breeders in the Northeast US? Most of the pics I see from American breeders whose webpages are not 404, look about like hatchery quality anyway--the only really fantastic-looking ones seem to be done by overseas breeders. [​IMG]

I don't think they need to be show quality per se, but I would like longtails that actually grow, you know, looooong shiny tails. I understand there's a good bit of grooming involved, which is fine--I already clean the coop weekly and dust with DE religiously. The new coop will have plenty of high roost space, and their run has smallish fruit trees in it for them to perch.

2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I got 3 Silver Phoenix from Ideal in April. Unfortunately my Hen died and I now have 2 roosters. I also have A Golden that was hatched.
    The 2 I have from ideal are not "show" quality but they are nice birds. Their tails are just starting to grow and they are in less than ideal conditions for optimum tail growing at the moment.
    We are finishing our orp and mix pens and after that we will start our Phoenix pens, they will have water, feed and roosts up high to keep them off the ground so their tails will grow.
    I can say that even though I have not handled mine as much as I would like, they are reasonably calm birds. Once I pick them up they settle right down and seem to enjoy the attention.
    Napalongtails on here raises Phoenix and is a wealth of knowledge.

3. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    If you are looking for just a few I do have select individual pairs for $30 plus shipping and or I could part with a few males should your atrtist friend be serious about having them. Drop me a line if you'ld like. [email protected]

4. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Oooh! Ooh! ooh! Yes, he is working on the coop this month. It will be done by the end of the month. Do you think you'll have birds by the end of the month? How much is shipping, do you have any idea?

OK, I am noting down your email address. When the coop is all done, I will send you an email for sure.

What kind of longtails do you have?

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Gorgeous Long Tails is what Napalongtails has [​IMG]
    You should definitely take JJ up on the offer

6. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    Rosalind OWC, I have very long tailed phoenix's of course. I can hold a pair no problem. I actually have a hard time letting them go. DH regulates just how many can stay. And 50 this year is the max. Drop me a note ttyl J.J.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by