Anyone grow mushrooms for eating?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by donrae, Dec 31, 2013.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've been looking into growing mushrooms for us to eat. We love them and they're fairly expensive, so I think I could offset some grocery bill by growing them. I know most folks want to grow the $$ shrooms, but we actually like just the plain little white buttons. From what I can see, they're about the easiest to grow, so a good place to start! I may look into other varieties later, if I'm successful with the buttons. Just as I'm typing this, a friend texted to drop off 2 bales of straw, so I'm pretty excited!

I've bought a few books on growing, and may just purchase one of the kits for my first try. Anyone with first hand experience? Tips, do's and don't's, things like that? Any feedback appreciated!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I tried growing mushrooms a couple of years ago. The trouble is - everything from bugs to deer like them! So you have to protect them well if it's going to be outside. I recommend www.fieldforest.net for your supplies. They have a great little catalog packed full of helpful info.
    Good luck with your venture, Sue

3. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Thanks. I have a few well protected areas I can use. With our new puppy, researching shrooms has kinda fallen by the wayside for the time being. I'll give it a few weeks to be sure she's housebroken, then try again.

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    An easy type to grow is the oyster mushroom - flavorful too! I'm going to try 'wine caps' this year. Thought I would innoculate the straw in the asparagus bed. Apparently they grow well together, Sue

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have a beautiful asparagus bed I worked my butt off making last year--I'd be thrilled to get double duty from it.

I've seen many posts about oyster mushrooms, they seem a pretty common type to grow also. I've never tried them myself, so wanted to start with something I know I'll like. Once I get bolder, those are my next variety to try.

6. AlohaChickens80

AlohaChickens80 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Paradise! (aka Hawaii)
    I would love to do it, my husband is a mushroom lover (me not so much, only on pizza!) we are in Hawaii and its a pain to get the mycellium imported. You have to get a permit and it has to go through quarantine! Crazy!

7. catw

catw Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    West Central Ohio
    I've heard of people growing mushrooms under their bed in a cardboard box. I guess they just need damp and dark.

8. lauraloon

lauraloon New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    East Tennessee
    Know anything about a portabello?

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I haven't grown them myself. I really recommend you to get the catalog from fieldforest.net. They have lots of info about all types of schrooms and how to grow them.

10. Pilze

Pilze Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    I make my own mushroom spawn by sterilizing rye grain in a pressure cooker. I grow oyster, king oyster, nameko, and reishi.
    Portobello is one of the tougher mushrooms to grow. It requires a technique called casing. You can buy a kit online and some people have success, but they are so cheap at the grocery store it is not worth the expense and effort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by