Anyone grown Indian Corn before? In the desert?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Heiko27, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    I thought I would try growing Indian corn this year. I tried an heirloom Hopi variety. It had some problems with lodging in a few storms and other people's sweet corn did not, in the same area. I have grown sweet corn for a few years and have never seen problems like with the Indian corn. I know the corn was grown in the east, and I know its and heirloom, so I knew it was just going to be an experiment, and it was fun and the cobs were beautiful! Except for the fact that for every 10 plants I got maybe one or two good cobs. I've never seen such poor rates. I know most sweet corn produces 2 or 3 cobs per plant and most Indian corn does one maybe two. I did stake up half the corn after it lodged and did it quickly, but their rates were not any different than the others. Some impressive looking cobs were empty. I got maybe 2 in half grocery bags whereas in the past probably had 20 bags for the same area. I know its not fair to compare it to sweet corn, but wow. I don't think they handled our heat well. (I live in Utah) I tried watering only2 or 3 times a week after they got root to avoid shallow root syndrome and encourage root growth, after it heats up like I usually have done with my other corn, but wow! They seriously almost died! So I'm going to try a "desert" heirloom corn next year. Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas? I do like the flour it makes.

Oh ya I did let two sweet corn plants grow on the edge. I know this can contaminate the seed but wanted to see what might happen. Still poor fertility( but they were on the outside row, but even then seemed poorer than usual,- oh and they had mixed color kernels that looked different from both the Indian corn and what they should be, it was rad!) The 2 sweet corn plants had no problems with lodging and they actually got higher than I've ever seen them get before ( They seem somewhat drought tolerant and we have had the moistest summer here I have ever seen) The other Indian corn on that end row grew only to about four feet- it was the shortest row of the whole field, but the Indian corn there actually produced better than the middle. Odd eh?

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I raised Indian corn several years ago and had similar results it was in good soil in blocks and well fed and watered and was still a poor ear. I think it is just that way, maybe someone else has had better results.

3. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    No, but your post reminded me that I still have some seeds around here somewhere that I orderd a few years ago. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by