Anyone had a bag of Flock Raiser be entirely dust?

KrisCVT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Massachusetts
I really like the food- it fits my flock well (5 hens, and 1 duck and 1 drake). I wanted a higher protein food in crumble form and this has been working well the last several months. I purchased my latest bag from TSC....it was ALL ground up dust. Almost no crumbles. Had I noticed prior to dumping it into my feeding bin and into the feeder in the run, I would have returned it. I am scooping out the grounds from the bottom of the feeder and adding water to make a mash so at least some of it gets eaten. Sucks because I feel sort of cheated. Hoping my next bag isn't like this- I know other brands have this issue.

I would call Purina and let them know. They might reimburse you. TSC might possibly do something as well... Its likely it's not a bad batch just that when the bag was processed and when milled it was likely the "bottom" stuff that got put into this bag making everything more crushed... I wouldn't worry to much about quality unless it smells or you see mold.

I really like the food- it fits my flock well (5 hens, and 1 duck and 1 drake). I wanted a higher protein food in crumble form and this has been working well the last several months. I purchased my latest bag from TSC....it was ALL ground up dust. Almost no crumbles. Had I noticed prior to dumping it into my feeding bin and into the feeder in the run, I would have returned it. I am scooping out the grounds from the bottom of the feeder and adding water to make a mash so at least some of it gets eaten. Sucks because I feel sort of cheated. Hoping my next bag isn't like this- I know other brands have this issue.
Great question! The Purina team works to ensure our products are held to the highest standard. We refer to this powder as fines in our industry. This is a result of manufacturing and handling (similar to what you would see in a box of cereal). We have limits in place that dictate how much of these "fines" are allowed in a pelleted product. We work very hard to make product that appeals to the chickens as well as the person feeding the chickens. As the bags get handled and tossed around more, pieces of the pellets may get smashed or broken off which contributes to the amount of powder in the feed. Interestingly, your chickens will eat the powder.
Find more information on Purina’s commitment to quality here: http://www.purinamills.com/purina-feed-quality/

Back
Top Bottom