anyone had a duckling with three feet? graphic pic

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by what was i thinking, Jan 14, 2009.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    hi, i had a duck egg quit on me, so i opened it up. it was moving good two days before. it had something growing out of its head. after looking into if further, i noticed, what i thought was a wing coming out of its head. but after looking more closely i noticed it was webbed and had two toenails. i pulled on it to see if more of it would come out. thinking maybe it was a twin or something grown together. that is all there was.
    sorry the pic isn't that great, i can only use pics from my phone.
    so, has anyone see or hear of anything like this?

[​IMG]

2. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] I am so sorry.Is it living right on.It looks so sad.But if it is living you may can call the Vet to see what they would say,,,,,,Love My Ducks,,,[​IMG]

3. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    no, it was a quitter, so i opened it. i was moving all around two days before, so i wanted to know what happened. i now open all my quitters. thanks anyway thou.

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    This is the first I've heard of that. I've heard of having an extra wing or leg but not from the head. I'm so sorry, it probably wouldn't have survived had it hatched itself.... nature knew something was way off.

5. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    ya, i am glad it didn't make it. i don't want to have to cull anything. i don't have it in me. i did it once and it hurt me.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    poor baby! [​IMG]

7. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    yes it was sad

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I had one with no upper beak that was a quitter but no foot out the head! That is odd! nature knows best!!!!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would say it probably was a twin and you didn't see the double yolks in the beginning. That would be why the foot was coming out of its head and not its abdomen. But I'm no expert.

I don't even bother with double yolks, they are too much trouble. Yeah, it would be neat to get two babies from one egg, but all the stress would kill me!!

10. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    o i there was not double yoke.(i don't think) they were pretty easy to see into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by