1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone had else had their Wal Mart downsized?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamaKate, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Our store jumped to super size about 18 years ago. Of course, business after business closed down because they couldn't compete. We all came to rely on Wal Mart as a modern day general store. Now, after extensive remodeling, the inventory is cut by 20-30%. We're all scrambling to find necessities and Christmas presents elsewhere. In the long run, I'm sure it'll be better for our small town(pop.17,000). New businesses will open to fill the gap. Has this happened anywhere else?

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I don't shop at Walmart for that reason, among others. Of course, I live in a large city.

3. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    I live 10 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart or town for that matter and it is the smallest Wal-Mart in the state of Alabama. If they downsize we will be back to a general store size one..lol

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Are you kidding? I live on the Mexican border and King Wally World is growing by leaps and bounds.

5. OMG, I HATE Wally World. Every time i HAVE to go there (small town), I put on my Angry, Ruthless, Impatient and Stoic face to deal with all the others that are doing exactlly the same. It seems every one hates wally world. I have seen them reduce their stock for Christmas so they will sell off all the crud they have left in inventory, eveyone is clamering for anything for Christmas.

We have told ourselves that to shop at Walmart is to except all the Bull Crud that goes with it and we have been making headways into finding other places to shop.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have only stepped into a Wal*Mart once in my life, to use the toilet. If they were to all disappear tomorrow, we'd all be better off.

7. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    They are taking the fabric dept.'s out of the Walmart's around here... [​IMG] We already lost the one at Monticello, and set to lose the fabric in the other area's...while they are not downsizing, (at least here) they are changing the whole 'look'...and only keeping what they refer to as 'crafts'....which in my opinion is fabrics!

8. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Quote:We have the smallest one in Texas. I swear I have seen bathrooms at the gas station bigger And it is 20 miles away

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I think this is the video I saw on them: http://www.walmartmovie.com/

Of
    course a search for "Anti-walmart" on the internet pulls up a lot of great info about why it's horrible to shop there.

10. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    Quote:We have the smallest one in Texas. I swear I have seen bathrooms at the gas station bigger And it is 20 miles away

So we both live a good distance away. I have a question for the ones that don't shop there....where do you shop? Where I live there are no other choices. It's over an hour drive to any size town that has any other choices. I could buy groceries at the local stores, which I do sometimes, but most things are stale where they don't keep the inventory up-to-date.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by