Anyone had success with treatment for crookneck in silkies?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peepsrus, May 27, 2009.

1. peepsrus

peepsrus In the Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    West Bend
    My 12 week silkie was found laying face down two days ago and has from what I have discerned "crookneck". She keeps her head tucked under her chest, occasionally will twist her neck into wierd shapes but mainly goes back to having it tucked under. She was normal all Memorial Day until I went to tuck them in at night.

She is with other Silkies her age in our basement brooder area which is about 10 x 8 feet with pine shavings. She has been there since she was a day old chick.

She does not have any other symtpoms for other illnesses. She will only eat if I feed her with an eye dropper which I have been doing about every hours, she takes liquids well but not diluted chick starter or crumbed cooked egg with yogurt. After feeding, she will stand for a short period of time with her head straight in front of her but not very upright, sort of horizontal and then within about 10 minutes she will go back to the position above.

I have been treating her with the steroids, Vitamin E, Vitamin B and selinium treatment that I found in an article by Alan Stanford. I just was wondering if any one has had success and if so how long did it take? I don't want her to suffer as she appears really uncomfortable at times but I promised my kids I would do all that I could.

Any suggestions would be great. Cary

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Try infant Poly-Visol (without iron) several drops several times a day. You can get it at Wal-mart. good luck!!!

3. sammi

sammi Songster

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    all vitamin and med suggestions are in the link I posted.

4. peepsrus

peepsrus In the Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    West Bend
    That's the article I referred to above so I am already doing all of those vitamins plus the prednisone. I did get some baby bird food from the pet store as that is much easier to mix and give with the eye dropper. She is more resistant and has more energy during her feedings but then when back in the box goes right back into that same position. I guess time will tell.

Thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: