Anyone hatch duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crj, Nov 18, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hello,

I have an Indian Runner duck that has started laying. She has laid an egg everyday now for 2 weeks. I may have a hen that is going broody. Do you think I could put a couple of eggs under her? or, should I wait till I have more eggs and put them in the incubator? I live in NC near the coast so the weather doesn't get super cold. It gets cold but we are not in the "freezing" temps for long. I would keep the little ducks inside since I don't think the grown ducks would care for them. But, I could be wrong since I'm new a the duck thing.

Any advise would be very welcomed.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I JUST hatched some duck eggs (as in: they're still in the 'bator as I type this) but I would think you could easily stick 'em under a broody hen. You would have to take 'em away once hatched, as they need different things than chicks (more niacin, waterer they can stick their bills into so they can clear their nares, that sort of thing).

Or you could get a really good incubator that takes care of all the duck eggs' needs. I am lucky that I have the "stupid proof" Brinsea MiniAdvance EX model, which handles the temps and humidity oh so easily!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    To hatch one batch over winter wouldnt be too bad.... But dont go overboard with hatching over the winter months. I had a house full of brooders over winter here in Australia- and now thats its warmed up I am so thankful to be able to put them outside sooner. The constant cleaning and smell inside form the brooders can get to you over time.

If the hen does go broody- you can hatch some under her, but you would need to care for them once hatched. If you are up to the challenge of ducklings inside over winter...go for it- spring is a long way off so at least you could have your first ducklings way before others start hatching again.

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I did raise these ducks inside till they were old enough to stay outside. Yes, I was happy to get them out..... lol. I'm willing to do it again though.

How difference is there between hatching duck eggs in an incubator compared to chicken eggs? Are the temps different and the humidity? I don't know how long a duck egg takes to hatch. If I can hatch them in an incubator I'll try that.

5. gryeyes

Temps are exactly the same, interestingly enough.

Mallard derivatives take 28 days. Humidity is higher throughout the whole incubation period, and lockdown is still 3 days before hatch (so lockdown on day 25) and humidity needs are MUCH higher then. My incubator paperwork lists the differences in many types of birds... but it's at home....

Muscovy ducks take 35 days, I think - that's what I've read. But it's early, my coffee hasn't kicked in, and I could easily be wrong.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thank you. It's good to know the temps are the same. That helps. Now, anyone know how long for indian runner ducks????

7. gryeyes

Indian runner ducks ARE "mallard derivatives." Y'see, there are two types of ducks: those that are like mallards, and those that are like muscovy ducks. Somebody can explain it better, I'm sure....!

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

For the record, my pekins hatched in 28 days....

9. Hi! I've just started hatching ducklings again here. I'd much rather not have ducklings in the brooder room over winter, but my duck-girls quit laying early summer and have just now started back.
    They are from an Ancona pair and a Pekin/crested Pekin pair.
    Hatched 10/28:
    [​IMG]
    and hatched 11/16:
    [​IMG]

Both those hatches, I ran my incubators dry during the first 25 days of incubation (our ambient humidity is high here, so they stay around 45% -50% without adding water).
    Day 26, I filled up the troughs in the hatcher (still air LG) and added a wet sock --- so humidity was probably up around 75% or 80%. The ducklings hatched GREAT.
    Runners are 28 days.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

10. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Nice Anconas!! Was that a sex linked mating? With chocolate baby girls and black baby boys? Nice ratio if so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by