Anyone hatched Buttton quail under a silkie?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chef, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I'm just wondering because I just put about 20 eggs under my broody silkie. She ended up pushing about half or so back out, but is still sitting on the others [​IMG] . Will this work? No loss if it doesnt as I didnt have to buy the quail eggs. Just thought it would be interesting.

[​IMG]
    Chef

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont know but I think the only problem you may run into is her acidintly breaking them cuase there so small.

3. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I brooded buttons under a Budgie once... worked alright, but I would have to remove them right before they hatched and put them into a brooder, if it was born under the mamma budgie it freaked and killed it.

4. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Quote:Possibly... but at least she is really small. Thanks for the input.

Chef

5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Ok well I have the results. The silkie has incubated the button quail eggs all the way to hatch. Unfortunately she has crushed 7 of them after hatching and I was only able to save 3. So it looks like she was fine for the incubation but just to big for the tiny little quail after hatching. If I was to do this again I would take them out a couple days before hatch. I'll get some pics soon.

Chef

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by