Anyone hatching on January 5th???? I got chickies everywhere!!! PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ZooMummzy, Dec 21, 2009.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    And what are you hatching? This will be my second hatch on my own and I am still very nervous! I lost a chick from the last hatch 12 hours after she hatched and two never made it out of the egg. I do have 2 beautiful little EE cochin X's though from the hatch [​IMG] Right now, I have 25 eggs in the incubator - OEGB, Seramas, Lavender Cochins, Sizzles, Frizzles and a few mystery eggs from a seller here on BYC. They arrived quickly but initial candling showed very unstable air cells, even some broken ones, but we put them in anyway. I also have a broody Silkie, so she is sitting on 5 of them, due to hatch January 6.

As of tonight, day 5 - 25 for 25 in the incubator are showing live embryos!!! I am amazed because I really didn't have much hope after seeing how they looked before we put them in. I'm hoping the same positive results for the ones under the broody and at day 14 we still have a fair percentage living [​IMG]

**edited because obviously all the eggnog has gone to my brain already and I miscounted the number of eggs in the bator and under my broody [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have a broody due xmas day and one due on the fourth. darn silkie hens. all three went broody in the same week. first one has three silkie and one mixed egg chickies. number two has 4 and number 3 has four. all mixed breed eggs.

3. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    lol I know...I had another broody silkie in the coop that I finally kicked off the nest this morning. I am just not in the mood for another one right now [​IMG] The one I have sitting on eggs is in the house so it is much easier to deal with. My coop is not set up to brood/raise chicks because I seriously did not think I would be when I built it last summer. Oops lol.

4. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I have a hatch due on 1/7 [​IMG]

I am setting JG's and EE's--cant wait to candle and check if any of them are taking! Thankfully the waiting game is only 3 weeks cuz I dont think I could handle much longer! [​IMG]

5. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Oh I know! The 3 week wait is almost more than I can stand. I am so antsy on lockdown day and it just keeps increasing lol.

Good luck everyone! I can't wait to hear how the hatches go! This is my first broody hen so I'm really nervous about that one...

6. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Is the 12th of January too late of a hatch to expect to join in? XD My first hatch was 0% of 9 eggs - 7 made it to lockdown but all died either before, during, or after LD. [​IMG] Just got a dozen more Porcelain D'uccles in the mail today but from a different breeder. They need to rest a day before I attempt to put them in the bator (which has been going for a week now). A topic like this one was there for me when I lost all my babies. If they weren't, there's no way I'd be trying again.

7. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    I'm Due on the 6th, so right behind you!! I also did not figure broodiness into coop design.... Looks like I'll be building a Broody tractor to keep all the kiddies playin nice [​IMG]

Maybe I can sell the tractor and the extra chickies off in the spring as a package!! Either way, I've got a bunch o' EE Mutts under that determined BSL!! Good Luck!!

8. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

So ZooMumzy, did your silly silkies decide to go broody during our super crazy cold week like mine did? I now have 3 silkie girls sitting on the same 4 eggs, all of them smooshed together in 1 nestbox [​IMG] I let them keep the eggs that were underneath them, when I checked a couple of days ago 2 were on day 5 and definitely had veining and development. The other 2 were on day 3, so it was really too early to tell. Mine will be due a bit after yours. Is your indoor broody the partridge female that we were considering hooking up with my boy?

If so, here is Gus, as featured on our Christmas cards this year:

[​IMG]

9. ZooMummzy

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Not too late in my book! [​IMG] I would love to hear how your hatch goes even if it's a few days after mine. The more the merrier!

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I have 23 Delaware's due the 8th if all goes as planned...which it seldom does [​IMG] but maybe I will get most of them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by