Anyone hatching this week? I know a little late then not at all. :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Nov 22, 2011.

  1. dandydoodle

    dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    We had one baby hatch out two days ago. When I went down tonight there was one pipped and we have three more eggs under the broody. We are going to be hatching all week cause, of my sneaky little EE. I gave my broody girl two eggs to sit on and I checked in her nest box about a week later and my EE had snuck three of her eggs in when my broody would get out to eat. [​IMG] My little EE is a sneaky bugger, she is my favorite. [​IMG] I let her keep them because, I figured they could already be developing. The two I gave her are EEs Splash Ameraucana roo over Blue Orpington ( I think ) If not the mom was a Splash Orpington. The three eggs that my girl snuck in are Splash Ameraucana over a light cream colored EE. One of the Ameraucana/ Orpingtons has already hatched and that is what has already pipped. So we should be hatching all week long. [​IMG]

    Anyone want to hatch along? Oh yea, I will post pics as soon as I can. I am afraid if I mess with mama to much she might quit sitting on the eggs before everyone has a chance to hatch. So pictures probably in a week. [​IMG]

    Michelle
     
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. rachelcb80

    rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

    60
    0
    39
    Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    I have 10 Serama and 2 Ameraucana eggs that went into lockdown this afternoon. Friday should be hatching day but I've heard several times that Seramas can be early so I'm already anxious for tomorrow. I keep telling myself to just look to Friday though and not get my hopes up for anything early.

    2 of the Serama eggs are questionable and I'm not holding out hope that all the other 8 will hatch. I will feel good if I end up with 5 or 6. These were shipped eggs and had a rough time in transit. Both my Ameraucanas should hatch though. They're from a local friend and have looked good the whole time. Impossible to see anything in now but I'll be surprised if they DON'T hatch.

    Best of luck with your remaining eggs! Hopefully mama stays put and hatches them all out!
     
  3. dandydoodle

    dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Have you been candling is that how you know two are questionable? If she does quite sitting on them can I put them in lockdown in the incubator or would that be useless? Good luck with your hatch, can't wait to see pics. [​IMG]

    Quote:
     
  4. rachelcb80

    rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

    60
    0
    39
    Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    Quote:I have been candling. Day 4, Day 10 and then today on Day 18. The two questionable ones just don't look as dark and full as the other and I don't see any movement. I started out with 22 eggs and am down to 10 so it's a little disappointing. We'll see what I get in a few days though!

    If your hen does stop sitting on them I would think finishing them out in the incubator would be a great alternative. Certainly would give them a fighting chance.

    I will certainly share pics in a few days if I have them to share! [​IMG]
     
  5. Sphinx

    Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,216
    56
    238
    May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have five due to hatch on Thursday, and one due to hatch on Saturday. The one due on Saturday looked pretty good, the ones due Thursday didn't seem to be as dark on day 18 as I thought they ought to. This is my second hatch ever though, and I didn't hatch this late last time around, so I have no idea if I know what I'm doing or not. I sure hope I'm wrong.

    I hadn't planned on hatching, but all of my hens were killed 3 weeks ago this coming Thursday by some critter. I took 7 of their last eggs out of the fridge and popped them in the bator, once they came to room temperature. I hadn't been turning them, keeping track of their age or anything like that because they were destined to be eaten prior to their moms being killed. So, I'm kind of emotionally invested in these guys hatching.

    All 6 eggs are BCM rooster over EE (several different versions of EE).
     
  6. dandydoodle

    dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Good luck, I would consider it a good hatch if I got 8. That will be 8 little babies you didn't already have. [​IMG] Yea, I think I will put them in the incubator if she quit sitting them. Good luck, I look forward to pics.


    Quote:I have been candling. Day 4, Day 10 and then today on Day 18. The two questionable ones just don't look as dark and full as the other and I don't see any movement. I started out with 22 eggs and am down to 10 so it's a little disappointing. We'll see what I get in a few days though!

    If your hen does stop sitting on them I would think finishing them out in the incubator would be a great alternative. Certainly would give them a fighting chance.

    I will certainly share pics in a few days if I have them to share! [​IMG]
     
  7. dandydoodle

    dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am so sorry about your birds. [​IMG] Do you know what got your birds and how so you can prevent it from happening when the babies get there. I wish you so much luck with your hatch. I am pretty new to this so excuse my question if it is dumb. After eggs have been in the fridge could they be hatchable? If you lived closer I would give you some EE babies. [​IMG]

    Michelle

    Quote:
     
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  8. Sphinx

    Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,216
    56
    238
    May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I'm not sure, but we're kind of thinking that maybe it was a raccoon family. My entire enclosure was completely fenced in, save for an 18" gap at the top in one spot (that has since been fixed). My next door neighbor lost 12 chickens the same day. While her enclosure didn't have a top, whatever it was had to have climbed two 6' fences to get to her chickens.

    Generally speaking, storing the eggs in the fridge and not turning them at all is not ideal for hatching success. When I candled at 7 days, they had all started to develop. I ended up tossing one egg around day 15. It had quit around day 5 of incubation.

    Thanks for the offer of EE babies. I kind of wanted MY hens' offspring, which is why I'm incubating in the middle of winter. I figure I'll buy some more hatching eggs in a couple months, and probably a couple day old chicks come spring if this doesn't work out.
     
  9. dandydoodle

    dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Sorry again about your birds. I am can understand wanting your own offspring. Well that is great that they started to develope, I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to hear if you get little babies. Heres hoping for you. [​IMG]

    Quote:I'm not sure, but we're kind of thinking that maybe it was a raccoon family. My entire enclosure was completely fenced in, save for an 18" gap at the top in one spot (that has since been fixed). My next door neighbor lost 12 chickens the same day. While her enclosure didn't have a top, whatever it was had to have climbed two 6' fences to get to her chickens.

    Generally speaking, storing the eggs in the fridge and not turning them at all is not ideal for hatching success. When I candled at 7 days, they had all started to develop. I ended up tossing one egg around day 15. It had quit around day 5 of incubation.

    Thanks for the offer of EE babies. I kind of wanted MY hens' offspring, which is why I'm incubating in the middle of winter. I figure I'll buy some more hatching eggs in a couple months, and probably a couple day old chicks come spring if this doesn't work out.
     
  10. dandydoodle

    dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Going to go down and check and see If last nights pip is now a baby. [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by