Anyone hatching today?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alogue5173, Oct 4, 2012.

1. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I am on day 19 and have four pips. Absolutely cannot wait to get home and see if there is progress!

2. Sparkypatriot15

Sparkypatriot15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    Well, I would like to be hatching today, but I've run into a lil predicament.... I'm on day 20 with only 1 egg and it hasn't pipped yet.... I'm worried... Do you have any advise?

3. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    You still have time...I wouldn't give up yet. Out of the ten eggs I had, four had pipped very early yesterday morning (beginning of day 19). By the time I got home from work one was already hatched and another had pipped. One more pipped late yesterday evening and I figured the other four were lost causes but when I got up this morning another had pipped. When I left this morning I had three chicks in the brooder, one still zipping in the bator, and three that were still pips. So all in total I should end up with 7 chicks, which gives me a 70% hatch rate. I will take that anyday for my first hatch. I had five eggs under my broody and only two of them hatched. How many eggs did you start out with?

4. Sparkypatriot15

Jul 13, 2012
    I started with 14. I think 13 were fertile and started developing. Then I'm pretty sure that one had bacteria that spread to all but 3 of the eggs when I left them in my moms possession over the weekend, I tried to save those 3 but 2 died leaving me with this as my last egg. I'm happy for your hatch though!

5. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I'm so sorry....that's so sad. My husband says I get too emotionally invested because I am sad everytime I have to get rid of an egg that didn't make it. Good luck on your egg. Keeping my fingers crossed s/he hatches [​IMG]

6. Sparkypatriot15

Jul 13, 2012
    Haha it's fine and thank you! I get really emotionally attached to them too. My mom and dad and all my friends have even given me the nickname "mother hen" cause it's impossible for me to turn down any egg or chick and I think I even go more broody than a real chicken :p I'm going to candle it today and pip the air cell maybe today or tomorrow if is alive. If it does hatch, you could name it if you want for being so helpful. If it does hatch, I know it also won't be alone because I have a little bantam silkie in my brooder right now that I named Cappuccino that's begging me for a buddy. I'll keep you updated on my last egg as the days play out!

7. Sparkypatriot15

Jul 13, 2012
    I just candled. She hasn't even pipped the air sac. I will pip it tonight in about an hour or so to see if she's even still alive

8. tvance

tvance New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Also looking for a few Showgirls - white Silkie naked neck - blue /black necks -- chicks or adults!

What do you have? What are you going to have?

Call me 360-748-4426
    Taylore

Chehalis, WA

9. Sparkypatriot15

Jul 13, 2012
    I have a bearded white silkie chick that my neighbors gave me... They have some silkies (some showgirls) but the only reason they have me my chick was cause they're my neighbors and they want me to have a big interest in poultry cause I'm going to work for their farm store in a year or two and sell chicks there ok Easter for them. And I have no clue what I'm going to have if my egg hatches because the person who gave it to me said she didn't haw any idea what it was. But I will have some silkie chicks of my own around next spring/ summer if all goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by