Anyone have a 9 week-old buff Orp chick with a huge comb and wattles that turned out to be a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HappyHandsHomestead, Jun 12, 2019.

1. HappyHandsHomestead

HappyHandsHomestead In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2019
    Anyone out there have a chick that they were fairly certain was a rooster, but that turned out to be a pullet? I have nine-week-old chicks and am getting some mixed reviews on whether or not my buff Orpington is a he or a she. Anyone been in this position and it turned out to be a hen??

Attached Files:

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. southern chooks

southern chooks Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Georgia
    Yep. 10weeks to adult. She’s on the left in the older picture

Attached Files:

3. southern chooks

southern chooks Chirping

Apr 18, 2019
    Georgia
    Depending on where you are, I think the heat makes their combs bigger and more red, sooner

4. HappyHandsHomestead

Jun 8, 2019
    That is good to know!! Mine only sprouted a comb a few weeks ago, and we were fairly certain it was a female until then. I am not going to get rid of him/her until I know for sure.

5. HappyHandsHomestead

Jun 8, 2019
    We’re in NC and the past few weeks have been extremely hot. This chick didn’t sprout a comb until a few weeks ago. It has a really tiny one until then. It’s not crowing, but it does behave in a dominant fashion, and it definitely does not strut. I really hope it turns out to be a hen.

6. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Free Ranging

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I've had two BO hens that I was convinced were boys when they were younger.
    At the moment I have an 11 week old that has me totally lost lol The only thing I'm sure of is that it's a BO, and it's a chicken :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: