Anyone have a bonded pair - Pekin drake and a Runner duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CrystaBub, Apr 23, 2018.

1. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    If so, I'd love to hear from you about how they get along as adults.... I have 7 week olds - Pekin drake and Runner duck. They've been together since hatching and very bonded. He's so much bigger than her and I'm a little worried. Need to prepare myself for what's to come when they get hormonal. :confused:

CayugaJana likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Just keep water out for them so they can mate in water. That will help. But having more than 1 female will also help your female Runner but I'd try and get around the same age and do it soon so these 2 will more readily accept them into their flock. It will still take time but will be better than waiting till hormones are kicked in.

3. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Just what I needed - a good excuse to get another duck :celebrate Thanks Miss Lydia!

chickenE and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

OR 2 which would be much better. :D

there is about a 4-6 lb difference in my Muscovy drake and his Muscovy females and they do fine but the girls sure prefer mating in water to ground But they are heavy through their body where Runners aren't so having more females will be much better or she'll really be worn down.

5. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    After reading so many posts about how aggressive Pekin drakes can be, I'm really worried about my little Runner girl. Should I consider getting larger breeds instead of more runners (I really like the Runners though)?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

I would there are some nice breeds that will take a Pekin drake abuse better than a Runner would not that he means to abuse but those darn hormones just get them best of them.
    Do this get a few Runners just to get and then a few more stocky females for your Pekin drake I see it as win win for you and him.

7. CrystaBub

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Now that sounds like a great plan!!!! :highfive:

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

:highfive: YEP!!!
    Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: