Anyone have a chicken that started laying after a year?

belila

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
I have an Easter Egger that is 11 months old and has never produced an egg of any kind. She seems healthy but is (very slightly) aggressive with me. She has NO male characteristics or behavior other than that. Her wattles are bright red. She does not squat when I touch her back. She lives with just one other hen, a Novagen Brown, and the NB dominates the non-laying Easter Egger around food and sleeping arrangements. They forage about an hour a day in my 1/2 acre yard. They eat Scratch and Peck Organic layer feed, and I give them our vegetable and fruit scraps, occasionally cooked oatmeal, oyster shell and egg shell (although I notice the non-layer is much less interested in that than the laying hen.

I've looked carefully for spots she could be laying outside of the nesting boxes and I have never found any eggs or egg remnants.

My question is whether I should just accept her as she is or hold out hope! Has anyone had a hen lay a first egg after the one-year mark?

She's a good little chicken, runs to me when I call her name, and likes to hang out near me when I work in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom