Anyone have a chickie who does this too??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by cls82, Oct 13, 2013.

1. cls82

cls82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    I wanted to start this thread because my little sweetheart Killer has some odd and unique habits....or so I think and am curious if anyone else's chicken does the same? She is incredibly friendly with me....and in all seriousness, she is the only one who gives a crap about me out of the 6 I have. Whenever she sees me, no matter where in the yard she is (we free range them) she runs and flies over to me as fast as her little wings and legs can carry her, and squeals to be held. I do not mean a few squeeks, she literally cries until I pick her up! Once she's in my arms, she shoves her head into my hair, gets all tangled up in it so that its basically strangling her, and then she passes out and takes a nap. She does this every single day, multiple times a day (I go out to see her on average 4 times a day). I really don't know why she tangles her head and neck up in my hair. I know she likes it because it's a constant thing for her. She also loves to jump on my back when I bend down and wipe her face on my clothes and peck at the back of my head. I also like to think that I have trained her to jump on my lap by patting my legs repeatedly and saying "Jump Killer!" which she does. ha
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. LBejaran

LBejaran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Deep South Texas
    That's adorable! I believe that your baby is associating you as the Mother Hen. It is likely that she is acting as though you are her mother, so she's burying herself in your "feathers" for both warmth and comfort. Chicks, when separated from their mothers, often cry out until their mother comes to retrieve them. I had chicks go outside of our fence and would cry out until their mother reappeared. Then, they'd come right back into the yard without a peep before hopping onto their mother's back to hide in her feathers.

Currently, I have a young pullet and cockerel that are very comfortable around me. Both are fond of jumping up on my shoulders and will gently rub their beaks against my shirt until I hand-feed them some grain.

[​IMG]
    Here's the little cockerel. I think he just overshot his jump because he landed in my hair and confusedly pecked through my hair before chirping at me to let him down. It was adorable!

[​IMG]
    And this is Cutie! She can jump from the ground to my shoulder (I'm about 5'7, so she jumps nearly 5 feet in the air) and will sit there until I give her a treat. She's the runt and is mighty spunky, but she's always very gentle when hopping on up.

You're very lucky to have such a sweet hen. Not everyone is so lucky. I'm so thankful to have these cutie pies to make me smile whenever I'm out in the coop. Sometimes, it can seem like our chickens don't really like us. However, when these lovely little chooks come into our lives, I can't help but be happy no matter how many of my hens don't like me, haha!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. cls82

cls82 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Ibejaran- Ahhh, I like your pics too! I totally agree with your last statement- it's the special ones that make it worth it. I never thought I'd love a chicken, ha! But when you get a special one, how can you not?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Askew has always been different from my other hens. She was friendly from the start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by