Anyone have a China Game Fowl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mahonri, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We are putting a China Game Fowl roo in with our hens until we can get an Ameraucana roo.

My 14 year old is hoping either for a broody or that I'll buy a 1588 so that we can incubate the cross of this particular roo with our leghorns and RIRs. Why, I don 't know, but I'm playing along.

He is all black with slightly goldish/silver neck spangles and goldish saddle feathers and LONG very, very black tail feathers. Since we finally put him with the hens, he's been spending time showing all of the hens that he is boss so there hasn't been any breeding going on, even though a number of the hens have squatted for him. Our demon barred rock actually knocked him down for a few minutes but after he recovered and his comb quit bleeding and then he let her know he was the boss. He has been free range and sleeping high in trees his entire life so he's kind of freaking about being confined to a coop and run. The boss roo (Jerry Lee) has never allowed him to mate any of the hens on his street so I also think its freaky for him to be the lone roo with 20 hens. We named him Jerry Dee after his roo dad.

I'll try and get you all a picture tomorrow.

The neighborhood to the south of us literally has hundreds of this breed (THE REDS ARE GORGEOUS, but the fellow that got us this one couldn't catch the one my 14 year old wanted) These chickens just run wild in this particular neighborhood (but almost everyone feeds them) and they are now protected by the city, (folks can't come catch them to have a BarBQ-they even got an ordinance passed to protect them) but they have an overabundance of roos and the neighborhood group wants to thin the roo population to those who would use them for breeding and preserving them.

It's always a chicken soap opera around here.

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Pease do post a pic!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Here he is, Mr. Jerry Dee

[​IMG]

Breed... China Game... a "Heritage Breed from East Central Phoenix"... This breed type was originally brought to this neighborhood by the Johnson Brothers almost 70 years ago.

Have you ever seen anything like him before?

His comb is hurt a bit because some of the hens beat the crap out of him.

I also think he may have a little banty mixed in because he doesn't look the size of most standard roos.

He still hasn't crowed and I've not seen him successfully mate yet... but it hasn't been 24 hours. At present he is spending much of his time in the coop.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. vangk007

vangk007 New Egg

Nov 8, 2012
    Interested in china game fowl. Contact me if you have any I can work with at [email protected]

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    no pic...

6. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    A really old thread.. :/

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens