Anyone Have a Clue on These Babies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lunachick, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I picked them up on Aug 1st. I think the white one was already 5 or so days old, the black one a few days behind and the little brown one was a day old.

This is them about a week later:

[​IMG]

I have my suspicions about the white one.(please don't be a roo, please don't be a roo) and I think the little brown one is an EE and I'm guessing the black one is............I don't know! I hope they are hens! Here they are a few days ago.....Look at the white one - it looks like a full grown chicken but small! What is he/she? She was supposed to be an offspring from my white plymouth rock roo that I couldn't keep. But this one is growing differently.....What do you think?

A couple of weeks ago....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Here's what i know for sure. The white one's not going to lay you any eggs. I'm sorry. He sure is pretty.

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Well I thought so! Dang it. That's the one that been chest bumping the black one.....and ruffling up "her" neck feathers when doing it. Oh well, I grow nice white roosters. [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:[​IMG]

But did you see the size of his drumsticks??!!

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Drat! Coyote - I've been trying to get a white hen and it's not working! Good thing the guy I got them from is close by and is willing to take any of them back if they end up roos. This will be my third time.

Stop looking at his drumsticks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Uh oh. There's a cockle doodle doo in there......... time for a trade-in! Those those ARE some mighty fine lookin' drumsticks on ole Foghorn!

*ranchie hauls butt before Luna can whack her*

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:LOL I was looking at the black one. Doesn't looke like a roo yet but dang, look at those long legs! You been breeding hens with Thunderchicken??!!

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    the black one is a black australorp pullet. By now if it was a roo she would have a comb. I know Ive had 2 BA roos.

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I disagree. The Australorp looks like a rooster to me due to the way its feathers are coming it. If it was a definite pullet then it would be mostly filled in by now.

10. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Quote:I ordered 2 BA females that are now 3 weeks old and they look very similar. They are slower than many of the other breeds that we got to feather out. Of course this is my first batch of chicks so I am VERY new and hate to disagree with the pro's on this forum but I did notice that on our BA's. Oh yeah, my EE have blue/green legs.??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by