Anyone have a design for a mechanical plucker?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sloper74, Jul 31, 2007.

1. sloper74

sloper74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    or a webpage they can point me to. How to make your own?

2. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    I have heard of people making them out of old laundry washer drums. They sell a book at McMurray on how to make your own. They also sell a plucker (waaaayyy expensive though!). I believe that people just buy the replacement fingers for the one that McMurray sells to construct their own. Good luck!

www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

edited for typos!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  3. sloper74

Jan 13, 2007
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I Know McMurray sells the actual plucker but you have to have some serious cash to afford that. We'll try and make our own. Thanks again!

4. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    Quote:Let us know how it turns out! Also, I would think that you could talk to a appliance repair place to see what they do with their "un-fixables"...they may be willing to give you one for free just to take it off their hands.

5. sloper74

Jan 13, 2007
    thats a good idea too. thanks!
    Quote:Let us know how it turns out! Also, I would think that you could talk to a appliance repair place to see what they do with their "un-fixables"...they may be willing to give you one for free just to take it off their hands.

6. marko15

marko15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Liberty, PA
  7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Here is the website for the author of the Whizbang Plucker book: http://www.thedeliberateagrarian.com/

Check out his blog. He has several poultry related articles and he also sells some of the parts used to build the plucker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by