1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have a Dirt Floor Coop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I need to build a new duck house and have been considering a lot of ideas but knowing how much higher my hatchrates are when the girls nest on the ground, i really like the idea of a dirt floor coop for my Muscovies. Of course I would dig up and lay down wire to keep out rodents & such.

All my other coops have been raised up or framed floors... SO... I am worried about water leakage into the coop floor..... anyone have experience with this kinda coop?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

My coop has concrete pavers, which I have covered with rubber runner mats. Makes cleanup easy and not predator can dig in.

3. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    I have a dirt floor pen. It was just the ground that was there when we moved in so we didnt add any dirt. This fall we got our first bit of rain and it did get very muddy and sloppy and my feet would sink down into the mud. I couldnt handle it but I know the ducks loved it. My husband and I went to another part of the property and dug up some dirt ( a different type of dirt, more clay-like) and covered the mucky dirt and its awesome!!! Before I would always have a thick layer of poo on my shoes (I didnt have mucking boots for a while) and then any rain or when the ducks would splash the water bowl around the floor just wouldnt absorb any water and was muddy! Now with the new dirt, I can tell it absorbed all the water from the layer below and I never see lots of nasty poo, its like the dirt absorbs most of it and leave much less mess!!! Its not stinky like it used to get and absolutely no mud whenever it rains. Just in case it did still get muddy I made a little 2x4 frame and filled it with little gravel rocks and thats where I stick there water bowls and I never have a muddy mess there either.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Build up the dirt floor several inches after you lay the wire down.

5. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I have a dirt floor coop and I never have a water problem. All you have to do is dig a small trench around the coop. It doesnt have to be deep at all only about 3-4 inches and 4 inches wide. Just make sure you make a way for the water to get out of the trench.

6. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    I have a dirt floor in mine and it's worked out pretty good for me.

I have pics in my sig. Most are near the last few pages of the thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by