Anyone have a Duck coop with "green" roof?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Jul 27, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Has anyone built a duck coop with green roof? Pics, information sources, suggestions?

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I am interested in this as well! [​IMG]

3. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Do you mean as in a traditional Alaskan cabin with grass growing on top?

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking you must be meaning something environmental. I do have a chicken coop and duck run with green roofing. It's plastic corrogated roofing. I bought it at home depot. [​IMG]

I have seen something, somewhere online about having a roof with plants etc. growing on it. I know that was very helpful. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking you must be meaning something environmental. I do have a chicken coop and duck run with green roofing. It's plastic corrogated roofing. I bought it at home depot. [​IMG]e seen something, somewhere online about having a roof with plants etc. growing on it. I know that was very helpful. [​IMG]

I remember last week someone talking about putting a green roof[plants etc.] on their duck house but my memory isn't so good don't remember who is was.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6957495

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  6. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yes, I was referring to a planted green roof.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That would be a pretty expensive coop. It takes a really stoutly built roof to support all that weight of roots dirt, and water.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I've always wanted a green roof on my house. Actually what I want is a hobbit house. [​IMG]

I've seen pics of green roofs on duck houses and coops and such, but I don't remember where, sorry! Good luck. I hope someone posts pictures--I love them so much!

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looks like you may be our pioneer![​IMG] [​IMG]

At this point, my plans for the roof - which is corrugated clear plastic (polycarbonate?) to let light in, is to use it to capture rainwater into a barrel.

I do, however, grow plants in railing planters along the top of the day pen.

I'm growing lettuce and nasturtiums. Both are mostly for the ducks (yes, I take a percentage [​IMG] ).

The idea with the nasturtium is for it to cascade down within their reach so they can nibble on it.

10. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    Well i'll write you all plans tonight [​IMG] It's an Alaskan specialty! You can still see these homes around town.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by