Anyone have a Flea Problem?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by txcarl1258, Nov 5, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Living in South TX has its pros and cons. One of the cons is FLEAS! We have been infested with fleas this year and the sand in my yard doesn't help either. My poor chickens have fleas on their combs and around their eyes. I read once that you can rub cooking oil on their combs to smother the fleas and kill them. Does anyone know of a safe method to rid chickens of fleas? Any help is much appreciated.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I read that you can put a drop of frontline on them. You could prob do a searchon this forum and try to get more information. Funny thing is we haven't seen a flea on any of our dogs since we started letting the chickens free range from dawn to dusk!!

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am right around the corner from you, but my chickens don't have fleas, but my dog did, and they have been horrible this year. The ones you are talking about sound like the stick tight fleas. Try searching on here about food grade DE. It is non hazardous to animals, but will kill insects.

4. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Thanks everyone I will try that. Break and Egg I didn't realize that their were other members so close! With all the rain this spring and summer we have battling them on the dogs, cats, chickens, you name it! It feels like its going to be cold this year and hopefully it kills them all. I am freezing already, not looking forward to Dec.

5. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:I love winters here though. Every summer I wanna pack up and move lol. The cold will definately get rid of them, atleast for a while.

6. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Even the frontline and advantage have not worked on the fleas this year. They have been horrible. I have never seen fleas on a chicken though.

Ants have also been the worse I have even seen them. Hopefully the cold will kill them all!!

7. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I hate the cold! If it gets below 50 it puts me in a bad mood! LOL Yes Fire ants have been awful too. One of my broodies lost all of chicks to fire ants. They even came into my house this year! I am going to search for some Food Grade DE to rid the problem.

8. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:If you can get out that way, Moore's Feed Store on S. Flores sells it.

9. txcarl1258

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Thanks, I was going to ask you if you a place in S.A. that sells it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by