Anyone have a good authentic Gumbo recipe?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by GothChick, Dec 15, 2010.

1. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Hello everyone,

When I was younger I went to New Orleans with my grandmother and we had the best gumbo I've ever eaten. It had chicken, sausage, shrimp, and tons of other ingredients. I have tried finding a similar tasting gumbo in restaurants around WI but have had NO luck. I would love to try to make some great gumbo for myself and my grandmother to bring back the good memories. Thanks for any help!

2. manderzpants

manderzpants Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    plymouth
    Gumbo
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/4 cup chicken breast; chopped
    2 1/2 ounces pork sausage links, thinly sliced
    1/8 cup olive oil
    1/8 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1/3 (12 fluid ounce) bottle beer
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1/3 bell pepper, chopped
    3 roma tomatoes, diced
    1/3 sweet onion, sliced
    4 fresh okra, chopped
    3 tablespoons hot sauce
    2 tablespoons dried parsley
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
    1/2 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    5 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
    Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat, and cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear. Stir in sausage, and cook until evenly browned. Drain chicken and sausage, and set aside.
    In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, blend olive oil and flour to create a roux. Stir constantly until browned and bubbly. Mix in garlic, and cook about 1 minute.
    Gradually stir chicken broth and beer into the roux mixture. Bring to a boil, and mix in celery, tomatoes, sweet onion, okra, hot sauce, parsley, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring often.
    Mix chicken, sausage, and shrimp into the broth mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.

3. GothChick

GothChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! I will have to go to the store and then try to make it!

4. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:From my time spent in NOLA, I believe the sausage was the key ingredient. I was not plain pork sausage but an Italian sausage. Sorry I don't recall the name.
    I'm going to try your recipe as well.

Joe

5. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Stirring in a spoonful of file powder when finished cooking is popular here for thickening, though I see you've included some okra in the recipe. Be patient with your roux--cook it long and slowly to develop the flavor (avoid flour taste) and that rich dark caramel color. We always include some scallops, small crab legs, or mussels as well--just like the shells sticking up out of the soup bowl! I started to mention adding a little "heat" but then I checked the recipe and saw you have lots of cayenne and hot stuff. I personally do not like lip-burning pepper seasoning, but I often put in some Old Bay seasoning along with some Tabasco. You can hardly go wrong with a good gumbo recipe--it can contain a lot of stuff and stretch to feed a crowd if served over rice. Now, I 'm craving a heaping bowlful! ~G

6. knjinnm

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Do you have a recipe to share?
    Joe

7. knjinnm

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Cajun Andouille Sausage is what I was referring to in my first post.

Picked this off the web:
    Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp

1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    2 celery stalks, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, pressed
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 medium sized onion, chopped
    2 cans (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
    1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
    1 lb. boneless,skinless chicken thighs
    1/2 lb. chorizo sausage, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
    1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped
    1 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme
    1 Tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 lb. medium shrimp, shelled & deveined
    1 cup long grain rice, cooked as directed on the package
    Insturctions:

In a large soup pot, heat oil over med-low heat. Gradually stir in flour, and cook, stirring, until mixture is dark brown ~ about 15 minutes.

Mix the broth in slowly and blend until smooth.

At the same time you start the roux start to cook the vegetables: In a non-stick skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until hot.

Add celery, garlic, green pepper, and onion and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

To the roux-thickened broth add the stewed tomatoes, chicken, chorizo, herbs, salt, black pepper and the vegetables.

Add 4 cups of dark beer or water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes. Skim off any fat that comes to the surface.

Add the shrimp and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the shrimp turn opaque.

8. manderzpants

manderzpants Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    plymouth
    i hope my recipe works out well for you guys. have fun!

9. ImStillMags

ImStillMags Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
  10. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    The best gumbo recipe I found was Alton Brown's recipe and he explains to mix the flour and oil and cook it in a heavy pan in the oven and let it brown. A proper color takes about an hour to become dark brown. I thought it was a bunch of hooey when I was making and stirring it on top of the stove and it popped and splashed on my chest........made an immediate blister and subsequent scar from the "cajun napalm".
    I love gumbo and don't like seafood. I made a sausage, pork and chicken combo and add the rest of the ingredients. I take mine out. Add the seafood if needed for the others who like seafood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by