Anyone have a good recipe for blackberries...yum!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Frozen Feathers, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Picked 4 pounds of beautiful blackberries yesterday (those thorns are nasty and mean!) and I want to make something...puff pastries or turnovers, something individual. Not a pie as I want to bring some to my in-laws. Anyone got a recipe....please. [​IMG]

2. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I'm sorry, I don't but it reminded me of something funny. My mom made something we called blackberry tar one time! [​IMG] Actually someone told her you could make jam just by cooking equal parts of berries and sugar to a certain stage, soft-ball I think. Well, the dern jam never did the soft ball thing, so Mama just kept on cooking it. Finally it was so stiff the wooden spoon broke while she was stirring. We crack up every time one of us remembers that! It tasted good!

3. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    lol well my FIL is diabetic and I do like him... sooo I won't be making blackberry tar. [​IMG] Sounds like my first attempt at sweet and sour sauce though...adding cold pineapple juice to melted brown sugar.... it makes sweet n' sour brittle, lol!!

4. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
  5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I accidentally made jelly, not tar. I cooked the berries up to make a syrup, strained out the seeds & pulp, then cooked the syrup again with a little more sugar. It was delicious!! Mom was afraid it would ungel, since I didn't add pectin, but it hasn't yet. I tried again, aiming for hardball stage to make candy. Didn't work. Just got a much stiffer jelly. It was pretty tasty, too.
    Now I gotta see if adding a bit of corn syrup will get me to hard crack stage...

6. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    If you don't want to do a pie or cobbler.....couldn't you simply use the dough and make turnovers?? You'd do the same things except when it came to putting berry mixture in pan...you wouldn't...you'd make small circles out of pastry dough and put the berry mixture in there....fold the circle in half....seal edges...brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar....I like to use the multi-colored sugar crystals that are used for cookies.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've actually done that to make a jam like thing out of black berries. Last year I stored up nearly 100 lbs of thoes suckers in the freezer.

To make the jelly, I just smashed the berries and stole their sweet juice. Then I put in sugar about 1:2 with the berry juice. (1 cup sugar to 2 cup juice) And boiled and stirred until the spoon was coated in a thick layer of the solution. I then put it into a sterilized jar and let it sit untouched on the counter for a day and refridgerated. Worked fine even though I didn't really measure anything. I just sweetened to taste.

One way to make sure it would solidify was to take a drop of the hot solution and put it on a cold plate taht has been in the freezer, if it gets solid in a few minutes, it's time to take it all out.

Mainly thouogh I use the black berries to make "Bug juice".

I blend up 1 blender of all the berries, strain the juice, fill the blender again to the top with cold water, blend, and strain the juice again. Add sugar to taste and it's great. I usually only add about 1c of sugar per gallon of juice.

8. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Newchickenmom&kids :

If you don't want to do a pie or cobbler.....couldn't you simply use the dough and make turnovers?? You'd do the same things except when it came to putting berry mixture in pan...you wouldn't...you'd make small circles out of pastry dough and put the berry mixture in there....fold the circle in half....seal edges...brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar....I like to use the multi-colored sugar crystals that are used for cookies.

How long do I bake them for and what temp though??​

9. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    We didn't have any Blackberries this year, Probably had alot to do with our lovely ice storm, but, My mom always canned the juice when we were kids and then she would make what we called a "Purple Pie". She would take the juice and sweeten and heat it to boiling then make pie dough and cut into strips, then drop into the juice, kind of like dumplings I guess. We loved it then and still do, lol

10. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Quote:How long do I bake them for and what temp though??

Well...I looked up some turnover recipes and most say 375 to 400 degrees until brown! I'm one of those nightmare cooks to most people...I just wing it and get lucky!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by