Anyone have a good recipe for Japanese White Sauce?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by gumpsgirl, Nov 16, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I am looking for a good recipe for Japanese White Sauce. We love oriental rice with white sauce! Mmmmmm! The problem is that it costs so much darn money from the Japanese Steak House here. I paid $5.00 for 16 oz. of it yesterday and vowed to never do it again! It was good, but costly. It's pretty bad when I can make sweat-n-sour chicken, rice, and stir fry for a meal cheaper than I can oriental rice and white sauce. The only recipe I have and have tried uses vinegar in it and it was to tangy. Any other recipes out there?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Anyone???

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I make a fair amount of Japanese food and I have Japanese relatives. And I have NO idea what you mean by "Japanese White Sauce." Can you explain?

4. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, yes! If you go to the Japanese restaurants around here they have what they call a "white sauce" to go on the rice, chicken, steak, or whatever you are ordering. Some people call it shrimp sauce (it's not the red american sauce), or white dipping sauce. If you do a search for it on Yahoo! it will bring it up, but I was curious to see if anyone had a good recipe instead of me trying all the one's that are on the web. So far, I've tried several and I can't find one that's as good as the sauce the restaurants make.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  5. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    You mean the Yum Yum sauce? lol! its actually just homemade mayo [​IMG] but with extra egg yolks! Egg yolks and oil a little melted butter...and seasoned with salt and white pepper and a little sugar. Only difference is they dont add any acid like lemon juice or vinegar. The steakhouse people will say they add all these stuff like paperika, garlic powder, etc but they really dont.

6. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I was even told yesterday that they add tabasco sauce along with fruit juice to theirs. They just wouldn't tell me what kind of fruit juice or how much of each ingredient. Figures!

7. Crest Acres Girl

Crest Acres Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern California
    yup, they make it as complicated for you as possible, they are so evil [​IMG]..because they know the more ingrediants they give you the more you will play with it and the more you dont get it!!

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Of course! Then I will be stupid enough to go back an pay $5 for a small container of it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by