Anyone have a great Oat bread recipe?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bulldog-girl, Jul 16, 2008.

1. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I have been looking all over the internet to find a homemade bread recipe that takes only oat flour. [​IMG]

Not on gluten free but I can get oats a lot cheaper than wheat and wanted to make bread. I can't find any recipes that have much oat flour in them. Maybe it is not possible to have an entire bread made from oat flour? [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    If anyone can help you with a recipe it would be these folks.
    http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

I can tell you that unless you add a bunch of vital wheat gluten to your recipe your not going to be able to make a yeast bread as oats have no gluten but I don’t see why you couldn’t make a quick bread with oat flour.

Do you have your own mill? If so you can get wheat berries at a fairly decent price from Bob’s Red Mill online if you don’t mind buying a 25-pound bag. I usually order 125 pounds at a time from them and am always surprised at how quickly 3 people can go through that much wheat.

If you have a health food store near you ask them about ordering, I order through a health food store and they sell me the wheat at the online prices and I save the shipping cost which can be as high as $17.00 depending on what I order.

3. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Thanks for the info! I actually live about 30 minutes from the Red Mill itself in Oregon. I have not been there for a long time. I will check on their quantity prices.

Thanks also for the link. That sounds like a great website. [​IMG]

Edited to add, yes I do have a mill.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Your welcome let me know if you find a good oat bread recipe; I'm always up for trying something new.

I wish I had a place like the Red Mill near my home, I'd be in there all the time. Well maybe it's a good thing I don't. [​IMG]

What type of mill do you have? I got a new Nutrimill for Christmas last year and it beats my old hand crank one all to heck, I really love it. It's the first one I've ever had that would grind popcorn. My husband loves the popcorn cornbread, it has such a naturally fresh sweet taste.

Good luck with your search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by