Anyone have a guess...BO male?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by texaschickmama, Oct 5, 2007.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Please tell me he is truly a boy. I think it is obvious to me, BUT I am very inexperienced at this. He is a BO - 13 wks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    He is the one in back.

Are there any difference in tail feathers on BOs? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    The accidental roo I got in my order of female chicks was obvious at about 2 weeks. The girls all grew wing & tail feathers weeks before he did. His tail stayed short for a long time.

I had to trade him away, but I'm sure his tail is very elegant now (at 23 weeks).

3. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks, anyone else have a guess. Please. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It does look like a boy to me, but then again, I have only had the Buff Orp pullets. Jody will pop in, I'm sure. She's good at sexing them since she breeds gorgeous ones.

5. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Great, thanks speckled. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it's a pullet, I never said that, LOL. [​IMG]

7. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Your secret is safe with me [​IMG]

What gets me is he is sooooo much smaller than the rest, but his comb is obviously larger than the pullets.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  8. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    my BO are about that age and their combs look a bit larger and more red than yours.. but Im not a pro at BO either..

9. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Oh, dear. Well he is supposed to be 13 wks old. He or she is so much smaller than the rest and his waddles and comb are bigger/redder than the rest. If his comb is not bright red does that mean worms or something?[​IMG]

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm leaning on faster maturing girl on this one. A closer picture would help with a definite answer. I don't see well defined waddles from the pic, but look at this link (post #23) shows a 14 (I think?) week old cockerel. The waddles are very evident on that bird as compared to yours. The body shape doesn't appear rooish either on your bird. The tail is a bit rustled on the pic, but curls would be a bit of a sign for boy as well.

FYI..this post has lots of good pics of roosters for you to compare your youngster to as it continues to grow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13666&p=3

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by