Anyone have a milk cow?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by texaschickmama, Feb 28, 2008.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    So we are getting a bull calf in about a month, or sooner, just depends on how fast we can get our fence done. He is a month old and will be raised for beef. I have been doing research and it says that it's best to get more than one calf at a time because they are herd animals and would feel safer and calm down easier if they are together with another one. Anyway, I was think of getting a calf for milk eventually. Does anyone have one and if so what is the milk like? What breed of cow do you have and any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Anyone have fresh milk?

3. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    I've never tasted unpasturised (however you spell it) milk before. I am curious to know what it tastes like!! I hope someone answers you!! [​IMG]

4. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    Hey, I don't have a milk cow now but have had in the past. In my opinion you can't hardly beat a Jersey cow. They are normally really gentle give lots of milk and are just a pleasure to have around. As for how the milk tastes. And this is just my opinion, the milk has a much richer and fuller taste, I am not sure just how to explain it but sometimes the milk I buy at stores to me tastes watered down and you never get that type of taste with fresh milk. It still has all the cream and fats and all the good stuff still in it. LOL And you talk about some good homemade ice cream if you ever make any with fresh milk you'll never want store bought ice cream again. And for the cooks there's nothing like cooking with fresh milk.

5. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    We've thought about doing this too, but would be bottle raising from a few days old. What I would do (and what we thought about doing) is buying 2 bull calves and sell the one you don't want at an auction.

6. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I haven't personally owned a milk cow, but have had milk goats. Fresh milk is great and has many uses, particularly goat's milk, I don't think there are as many for cow's milk.

I have had fresh cow's milk before and it's great. Even better than the milk, for me, is the actual milking time. It is just really peaceful to me to go and milk my goats. Its a big stress reliever. Alot of folks over at homestead.org have milk cows, you could get some good info there.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You can't beat farm fresh milk-just like you can't beat "real" farm fresh eggs. We have holstein and holstein/shorthorn crosses. If your only milking for yourself (most states you can only sell raw milk to plants) then a breed like jersey would probably be a great bet. We have had them in the past and still have a few crosses. They don't give as much as the holsteins so you won't have as much extra milk. I have read another thread on here suggesting herdfords-I would not do it! They are stubborn creatures and do not milk out very well. My DH bred some of our cows to herdfords so we could also have beef cows. They ended up in the barn milking-never again! I have jumped for joy each time I ship one out!

8. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Henhappy wrote:
    I am curious to know what it tastes like!!

And the answer is: It tastes like real milk should! It is the nectar of the gods.
    As jmhappycowboy stated it is rich and full, especially Jersey milk. If you ever get to taste raw whole milk you probably won't ever want store bought milk again. It is not pumped full of antibotics, harmones, etc that the watered down blue john is.

9. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    We have a family milk cow. She is a jersey and her name is Elsie (no suprise there!) She is fantastic, we raised her from a calf and she is sweet as pie. Everyone else pretty much summed it up.

Fresh is best!

Christie:D

10. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Hmmmmmm....I wonder if I can talk my in-laws into getting a cow.....Hmmmmmm

I WANT TO TRY IT NOW!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by