1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone have a partridge rock roo for sale

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by hsm5grls, Dec 15, 2007.

1. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I need to replace my poor roo. If anyone has one for sale please let me know.

2. krturpie

krturpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
    I have one or two 5 mo (very pampered) Partridge rocks roos free to a good home. Here is a pic of a single rooster strutting along. I just have no idea how to get them to you. I'm in Maryland. Do you have any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  3. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Oh he is so pretty I want him so bad. I know you can mail birds but I'm not sure of the proses. I would be happy to pay shipping of course. Let me do a little investigation after the holidays and see what the process is and the cost. That is if the offer still stands.

4. krturpie

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
    Sure. The deal still stands. Did you want one or two?

I think I saw instructions in another post, so I think you're right about shipping birds. Apparently some post offices ship birds, although I don't know how a chicken would fair going a couple of thousand miles, let alone how much it would cost.

I'll ask our local post office about it next Wednesday. Let me know what you find out. Maybe we should post a general question on BYC regarding any tips for making the trip easier on the birds?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  5. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    That is a good idea. I know lots of people here mail birds. I will call the post office here and see what they say. I hope we can get this to happen. DH saw him and is also very excited. Do you want to post the question or do you want me to do it?

6. krturpie

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
    Wow, you responded fast. I guess you're reading this practically live. I'll be happy to post the question.

BTW, refresh your browser, I just edited my previous response. Basically, I wanted to know if you were interested in one or both roos.

7. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    We would like both roo's. I have little hens here who need a man around. LOL Do they live together right now or are they in separate coops/runs? I am just wondering what kind of accomodations I would need to set up here.

8. krturpie

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
  9. krturpie

Nov 11, 2007
    Maryland
    They all share the same little coupe and run. After we gave one away recently, one rooster started picking on the hen and the other rooster a bit. I guess that they needed to re-establish the balance of power or something, but things seemed to have settled down now. Now all three (hen and roos) are back to eating and sleeping together pretty much 24/7.

I suspect that still could change as the roos mature. They were hatched just last July and don't even have spurs yet. But, who knows? Maybe they'll be fine even after a few more months.

Frankly, I'm more worried about losing all of the chickens as soon as one the roos starts to crow. When that happens, it will be hard to avoid complaints from neighbors near and far. So, we're going for having just hens.

Anyway, I think for now they're flexible as far as accommodations are concerned, but you'll have probably need to keep an eye on them as they grow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  10. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    We looked at the pictures and are very excited to add these little guys to our flock. I will investigate more on the shipping and as soon as I figure anything out I will let you know. Please keep me informed on anything you hear and I will also read the posts to see what I can learn about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by