1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone have a really good southern style potato salad recipe?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by willkatdawson, Sep 20, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I have never made potato salad. I'm looking for an easy great tasting recipe.

2. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have made this one before and it is quite adjustable. These are honest recipes from real folk, nothing fancy southern cooking.

Minda Lynn’s Cold Potato Salad
    5-7 lbs potatoes cubed and boiled
    ½ Cup Mayo (sometimes more is best)
    ¼ Cup onion all chopped up
    1 teaspoon mustard (sometimes more, sometimes less)
    2-3 great big sour pickles all chopped up
    Several hard-boiled eggs all chopped up (5 will do, but 8 make a richer salad)
    Pickle juice to taste
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste

Pour all ingredients together in a big pan and mix it up. If you need more moisture, add more pickle juice, or a little bit of milk, or mayonnaise. If you need more onion, chop it up and put it in. If you need more pickles, put them in too, but remember they’re hard to take out. Some people like more mustard than mayonnaise and a whole lot of eggs. Then it’s real, real yellow. Some people like more mayonnaise that mustard and then it’s not so tart.
    Minda Lynn swears you can do anything you want to with this salad, depending on your mood. But she advises to always take the skins off your potatoes because, if you leave them on, the salad will look awfully dirty.

From the pages of White Trash Cooking, 1986

3. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Sound great!
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by