Anyone have a sliding "people" door on their run or coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Haunted Chicken, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    If so I would love to see pictures and any tips on building one...on the cheap. OK I know cheap isn't a possibility but as cheap as possible. [​IMG] Thanks

Oops, I should have said "people' door. Similar to a barn door only on a smaller scale.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The one on my bantam coop is opened from inside the storage area and slides sideways. This was while under construction so doesn't show the final result, sorry. It has a spring loaded hook and eye latch to lock inside and then a board is propped between the end of the door and one of the studs for extra security.

[​IMG]

From outside:

[​IMG]

3. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    I have one and I hate it! It's on the inside so shavings get in the track and I have to crawl in the coop and clean it out occasionally so that I can close and open it all the way. It's the only thing I dislike about my coop and would change in a heartbeat. Need to ask hubby if he can build some kind of shield for it to keep the shavings from getting in the track. I'll post close up photos in the morning so you can see what I'm talking about.

4. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for but this is what I asked DH to build for a pop door. I suggested that we get drawer slides for the pop door. ( he was just going to make a slide door and track out of wood, but with rain and humidity at times here, the door would swell) He got some conduit and bent it and added cable to make the pull. We can open and close from the outside of the coop now. Our old coop, we had to go into the run and open the pop door to them them in and out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Oops, I should have specified a sliding "people" door. Like a barn door I would guess.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll actually be working on a sliding coop door for the hens soon too, so this is all still very good info for me. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by