anyone have a solution for this

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DDNONIN2016, Mar 15, 2012.

1. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Built my brooder in my coop. Thought this was a perfect idea to keep from brooding in my house. All is well with the chicks except the light from the heat lamp is keeping my grown flock awake. I went out at 4 am just to check temp on the chicks and some of my hens were already getting down from the roost. I have a dark colored blanket draped on the front of the brooder to keep drafts out but the top of the brooder is hardware cloth with the light above it. The light shines on the ceiling and casts just enough light toward the roosts to keep the rest of the flock awake. Should I move them to a cage of some sort in my garage at night or maybe try to hang a tarp between the brooder and roosts ? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is it a problem that the hens are moving around early?

You could look at a different kind of heater. One that doesn't use light. Look at the reptile section in a petstore maybe.

Imp- Good luck

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Thanks very much. Just worried about disrupting the older ones natural sleep patterns. If it won't affect their health then they will be fine for a few weeks until no light is needed for the chicks. Appreciate your help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by