Anyone have a source for ROSS COBB eggs/chicks?

lostsoulhelpmejebus

Incubating Fool
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Roanoke, Illinois
Would anyone know of a US source for ROSS COBB eggs or chicks?
barnie.gif

I searched this site and was unsuccessful and after looking on a few search engines I am not finding a source either. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It's tough to get your hand on those birds directly. First off start looking for either Cobb-Vantress, Aviagen-Ross, Hybro, or Hubbard. These are the top producers in Parent and Grand-Parent breeding stock in the world.

Cobb Ross chicks are not a line as they are two totally different business's. Think of what you said as McDonald's-Wendy's chicken nuggets. There is no cross either one... or the other.

Where do you live? You may be able to get your hands on some of the breeder stock if you live closs to one of the hatcheries. They will sell you the "by-broduct" of their lines. They make great meat birds.

But to get your hands on the actual lines that Aviagen or Cobb has is almost impossible as the minimum orde is in the tens of thousands. Unless you can pay a chicken farmer in Alabama to get a few breeders from him you aren't going to have much luck.

There are probably hundreds of varieties of Ross-Cobb broilers out there, none of which you'll have access to. The only way I've heard of people getting hold of these were by knowing farmers with big barn operations, who'd give them a few dozen here and there.

There was one gentleman on here who was selling Ross-Cobb hatching eggs last year. When asked where he got them, he stated he got Ross-Cobbs from a chicken farm then bred them. Of course, you can't rebreed hybrids and get the same bird, but he had no idea what we were talking about.

There is a farm down the road from me that produces hatching eggs for a major chicken producer and I asked her one time about getting some. She told me that if she gave me any of them, she could be prosecuted due to contract clauses about secrecy. I would never ask her to do something that is illegal and could cause her to lose her entire livelihood. I really don't need any that badly.

This is a commonly misunderstood fascinating glimpse into the broiler world (and egg laying breeders for that matter). For the industrial flocks, the big breeders sell the breeding stock to 3rd party producers who then own only the eggs of the offspring. They do not take owernship of the birds themselves and must return them if they go out of business. These 3rd party producers then sell day olds or hatching eggs to the egg/broiler farms. This last person in the chain of ownership owns only the birds themseles. Under some contracts, they are even given the birds to raise at no cost.

Your big producers all have differing contracts exactly who pays for what (e.g. Tyson, Foster Farms, etc).

I remember when the Freedom Ranger people left the business, they were supposed to return the breeding flocks back to Hubbard-USA. They ended up being sold to JM. I'm just not sure who & what exactly owned what and who paid who.

In a similar thought, if you were to visit many of hte retail online hatcheries, you wouldn't see a single adult chicken. They get them all as hatchign eggs either from the big breeders or they have contracted their breeding flocks out to 3rd party contractor farms.

Lots of pronouns in this explanation.

I think Welps is the only one around that owns their own breeding flock that sells to the public. The rest all buy hatching eggs. There is a farm in Arkansas that produces like 60% of all broiler hatching eggs to hatchery's such as McMurray, Moyers, Myers, Ideal... and such.... I'm not saying that all buy from this farm but unless you actually own your own breeding flock for your broilers the hatcheries get different stock at different times of the year.

This might sound a little crazy, but there are several very large world-wide trade websites that importers/exporters use on a daily basis (ex. Tradekey.com). I have been looking on a lot of these sites and have found a lot of companies out of Egypt, Brazil, Jordan, that not only have hatching eggs for sale, but also 'Parent and Grand parent stock'. Most of them claim to be Ross and Cobb.

Not that I am speaking for the quality of these birds or that you are really getting what you pay for, but.... I would think some of these companies would be more likely to let their parent stock eggs go for less than a larger breeder in the US would.

That being said, you would still probably need to spend a lot of money initially because they aren't going to ship 13 birds. I just think you could probably end up having to buy less than if you contacted Cobb or CWT farms directly.

I don't know much about this business but it seems to me that if you want to secure the parents to produce your own hybrids, then you pretty much need to be at the point of bulk production.

i'm back on here again

the hens and roosters that i had were from commerical laying

houses

the eggs are gathered and sent to a hatchery

then the chicks are sent to grower houses

where they are sent to the plants to be killed

or used for breeding purpose

i think i know what i'm talking about when it comes to

cobbs / ross

i'm back on here again. Can you still get hatching eggs

the hens and roosters that i had were from commerical laying

houses