Anyone have a teaspoon of dry yeast to spare?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Bettacreek, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I know, sounds crazy, huh? Well, I want to start a yeast culture, and instead of spending a fortune on dry yeast at the store, I wonder if someone buys bulk yeast and is willing to mail a teaspoon or so of dry yeast my way. It's worth a shot anyways... I can trade ornamental pepper seeds for your yeast. Thanks in advance.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You might want to seek out some local bulk food sections. For just a teaspoon or even table spoon, it'll probably cost less than postage.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I just found a recipe from my great-grandma that calls for 8 cents worth of yeast. I'm REALLY glad my Grandma penciled in the correct amount years later, as it calls for 2 packages of yeast- to 9 cups of flour! You'd think it was a small recipe, but NO! It makes a gross of rolls! That's right- 8 cents of yeast made 144 rolls.

Wow.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    way to go!

those old recipes are the greatest, I can almost hear grandma listing ingredients when I look at some of mine.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Bettacreek, do you know that you can "catch" yeast in the air.....I have a sourdough starter now that is 4 years old and still very good....

I'll see if I can find my instructions for it....

Are you trying to start sourdough type starter?

Have a blessed day.

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    The sachets of yeast are extremely cheap, I think around 99 cents for three 2 tbsp packs.

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    This basically explains how to catch the yeast.... It's really easy if I did it!
    http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

You can do this!

Let me know if you have any questions.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Compared to packets, I think I've seen places selling yeast by the pound. It was something like $4 a lb, that's basically 64 packs of yeast. (there are about 7 grams of yeast per pack)

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Sam's Club has 2lbs for $4.16. Believe me, I'm the master of cheap shopping. However, I would rather trade for it than buy it. Catching it on my own, however, is 50 times better than trading! Thanks a million Bargain!

10. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Is there a way to start a yeast culture the way you start sourdough starter. I mean you just put a cup of flour and a cup of water in container at room temp. Let it go for a few days and then it comes alive and smells all yeasty. Then you just have to keep changing half out and feeding it to keep it going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by