Anyone have a tip for stopping leaky waterers??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs. Feathers, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    We moved from a galvanized bucket waterer to those plastic bell ones. We have them hanging and I am getting so frustrated because they drip drip drip and more drip!
    DH will be putting in an watering system with a float to self fill....but in the mean time.....
    Has anyone figured out a way to stop the dripping? I have rubbermaide lids underneath all the waterers in the coop but end up scraping of wet, stinky bedding daily or 2X per day.
    Starting to wear my cranky pants each time I go to the coop [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
    Jody

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You can set it in a basin that is taller than the rim of the waterer. If it is a little bit taller, like three or four inches, it keeps stuff from being kicked into the waterer too.

3. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Is this a Plasson Waterer?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've yet to find a plastic waterer that didn't leak when hung, was not on a level surface.
    My original 3 gal. plastic waterer leaked when we first got it. We put a thin coating of vaseline on the threads of the lid and the threads of the waterer itself. Haven't had a problem with it since. We did the same thing to the 5 gal. waterers we just bought for our chicks. No leakage at all. We re-apply the vaseline every couple of months.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Maybe the are sagging from hanging. What if you hung a hunk of plywood, like a flat tire swing and set it on that?

6. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    Are you sure that the cap on the bottom is tight before you fill and put the top of the waterer on? I've had that problem before. I can't think of anything else.

7. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I initially hung mine too and it didn't work. I ended up putting bricks down, two thick, with the waterer on top and that seemed high enough to keep chips, dirt, etc out and stopped the leaking. Also, make sure there is a very tight seal. A couple of times the top did screw on tightly enough and it slowly emptied out.

8. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Hi Neil
    I can`t remember the brand name. It is designed to hang, has the white plastic dome water container that fits into a red locking base (also plastic).

9. Mrs. Feathers

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks for all the tips...I have several things to try now. Our thought on having feed and water hanging was to increase space but really the space under is not utilized anyways so putting it on a solid surface until we get around to installing the new waterer might just be the ticket. Anything to keep the cranky pants at the back of my closet where they belong will help!

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It is designed to hang, has the white plastic dome water container that fits into a red locking base (also plastic).

Typically they are designed to sit on a flat base. Movement can cause them to spill
    The Vaseline around the O ring should work though​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by