anyone have a VitaMix ? is it worth the $$$

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by areyoumymother, Jun 4, 2011.

1. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Just curious.......I have been looking at VitaMix machines for a couple of years now but haven't had the courage to shell out $400 plus for another appliance to sit on my kitchen counter collecting dust.....

Anyone have one ? and how often do you use it ? What is you favorite thing about it ?

2. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Well we own one. Saw one demoed at Costco while I was having some denture issues and the lady doing the demo made me a bunch of healthy drinks from vegetable and fruit. To get a really healthy vegetable smoothie they can't be beat. Very few other "blenders" have the torque or rpms to really liquify product so your body TRULY absorbs it. I tell ya it is the bomb. The recipe book has some great unusual recipes that really rock - one of my wife's favorites is a baked potato soup.

I don't use it every day. But I tell ya when I feel I need a boost a Vitamix smoothie is really something. Here's a video I shot when we first got it. Check out what went into this smoothie... It was so good - sweet in a very natural and healthy way. You feel the "rush" immediately on your first sip.

3. chrisf

chrisf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I actually have three!....the first one I got over 30yrs. ago still works, it is the old fashioned stainless steel type that is indestructable.........I then found a brand new one at a tag sale for $7.00!!!....I then bought another one on Ebay for $15.00.....all work but I use them for different things........try ebay for an after market one..............................................................................chrisf

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  4. areyoumymother

Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks All !!

bigmike&nan: I too saw a demo at Costco over a year ago but did not have the $$$ at the time but have wanted one ever since....
    LOVE the Youtube video, thanks for sharing .....my cat also 'helps' me in the kitchen !! LOL

Chrisf: I did check ebay, nothing cheap right now...also checked Craig'slist and all the blender ads were for other brands and most had a note replaced with a vitamix, which leads me to think I should hold out for a vitamix and not settle for anything else.

Have either of you made salsa or spaghetti sauce ?......... My husband does not like 'chunky' sauces.

5. PeepsBMobbin

PeepsBMobbin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    YES! I love it. It would be perfect for making non-chunky sauces (it can make chunky ones too which for a blender is really good). I also make non-chunky jam super smooth, even blackberry yum. I also make non-chunky peanut butter. (My friend makes chunky but we are a smooth family). I chop cabbage for coleslaw, I grind grain for bread. Ahhh.... and I make my own mayonaise and ranch dressing with eggs. I make chocolate espresso bean sauce for cheesecake. WOW, chocolate sauce that is so smooth and doesn't burn. I make my own mix for cream of chicken, cream of mushroom soup, so that I don't have to use the ones with MSG and it is cheaper. Should I go on? Besides loving smoothies, soups, and ices that I make for the kids.

I did make a smooth salsa last year when we went to Mexico for vacation. Same ingredients, just blended smooth. So GOOOD! I need to do that again.

I couldn't live without mine, and yes it was a big investment. But if you think you would use it a lot, it is so worth it.

6. areyoumymother

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:If you are not a Demo person for Vitamix you have missed your calling LOL [​IMG]

I have 'invested ' in a few not so cheap things in the past that I was impressed by the demo only to find that when I got it home it wasn't all that ......

At the fair a couple of years ago I purchased these food storage containers that you could push the air out a little 'vent' on the lid and were suppose to be non-staining......well, not only did the little rubber gaskets in the 'vent' split they all stained when I put spaghetti sauce in them .....*sigh*....and they were not cheap !

I am glad to see that THIS item IS all that.....that is what I wanted to hear.....

Is there recipe's in the books they give you for the cream of mushroom/chicken soups ? Also can you mix up batters for baking ?

7. PeepsBMobbin

PeepsBMobbin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    No, the cream soups are my own creation.

Yes, you can do batters. I do muffin mix in it. Liquids first, then blend, then slowly add the dry ingredients, and then pour directly into the muffin tins. I have done pancake batter too. I like the whole grain pancakes in the book. I do have the separate wheat grinding container so I grind grains, and sugar.

I can post the soup recipe in a few I have a meeting starting in a few minutes.

You know how for the demos, you can just cut the fruit without coring it and throw it all in. I do that! Truly. I made Carmel Spice Pear butter with 20 lbs of pears last year. Quartered them and pureed them and threw them in. SOOOOO EASY! I didn't even peel them.

8. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Boy when I want a power blast smoothie I put this in my Vitamix in this order...

2 oranges peeled with a knife
    2 carrots cut in chunks
    1/2 a red bell pepper cut in chunks
    1 stalk of celery cut in chunks
    1 cup orange juice
    5-6 ice cubes

Cover and bring up to medium speed, then high. Blend a total of one minute. Pour some into a mason jar and be prepared to smile inside and out.

9. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Better measure the area where you plan to keep the VitaMix--they are taller than regular blenders. Some cabinets hang too low to allow to accommodate the VitaMix's height. I got the Blendtec instead...it fits my space better. It makes awesome green smoothies!!!

10. areyoumymother

Apr 9, 2011
    bigmike&nan :

Boy when I want a power blast smoothie I put this in my Vitamix in this order...

2 oranges peeled with a knife
    2 carrots cut in chunks
    1/2 a red bell pepper cut in chunks
    1 stalk of celery cut in chunks
    1 cup orange juice
    5-6 ice cubes

Cover and bring up to medium speed, then high. Blend a total of one minute. Pour some into a mason jar and be prepared to smile inside and out.

Yummmmm ..... sounds great !

now, sorry for all the questions...but I have another....Do you use organic fruits and veggies ? or does it matter ?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by