Anyone have an automatic pultry door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Smitty's Farm, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I'm trying to finish building my coop and would love to install an automated pultry door with a timer. I was wondering if anyone else has one.

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    don't have one but have seen them for sale a think it was a UK internet shop......very interesting idea!

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    To open on a timer would be great, but if the door closes and not all the chickens are in - then what? They stay out all night?

4. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
  5. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I have seen some advert. from UK also, but was wondering if anyone has actually installed one. I was thinking of one with a timer. My chickens go to the coop like clock work when it gets dark.

6. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Wally,
    Thanks for the link. I've seen it. I would love to order one, but would like to talk to someone that has installed one first. I'm desperate to finish my coop, but scared to cut the small chicken door until I find out if automated door requires any special measurements.

7. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    I have one --- I love it -- I change batteries twice or once a year - it is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I would not have a chicken coop without it! They all file in at dusk and like clockwork -- for 3 years running it closes tight. Opens in the morning light and out they go... how cool is that?!?!?!?! Same time every day - runs on photocell.

No one ever gets locked out or trapped out -- I check daily and for 3 years the only time was when the batteries ran low the 2nd year and I replaced them. COOL!!!!

I love it - Simon is awesome. Seriously - everyone SHOULD HAVE ONE!!!!

8. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    Smitty,
    From what I can tell it doesn't matter what size the door is. There are just some pullys attahed to a rope that actually opens the door. The mechanism just pulls the rope. Look closely at the pictures on the web site. Let us know how it turns out if you get one. I was going to get one but lost interest. It looks like it cost about $160.

9. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    echix,
    Thanks for the info. Where did you order it from? Was it hard to install?

Wally,
    Thanks again for the info. Pondering if I should install one has slowed the progress of finishing my coop. I letting the chickens out in the morning and in at night, but need a back up plan if we go out of town.

10. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    I ordered it from the UK site http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/door_opener.htm

Simon
    is the owner - is awesome. It shipped to the US so fast..

No it is not hard to install... it was so easy - we bought one of those dog doors though from Pet-Co (XL) and used it for the "door part" and just hooked the VSB to it to lift and lower the door --- you can order the whole thing and figgure it out EASY!! So simple!!

It just lifts the door with a string and lowers it... how cool is that!! I'll try to get you a pic on it at my coop......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by