Anyone have an egg hatch after 23 days

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k_long, Jan 3, 2010.

1. k_long

k_long Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Point Harbor N.C.
    4 out of ten eggs hatched between day 22 and morning of day 23 haven't seen any new pips since early this morning. I've read that eggs can hatch from 21 to 27 ir 28 days of incubation, but also read that after day 23 they should be discarded. I'm not all that patient and want to see whats going on but my wife is patient and says wait. Anyone have any expierience with late hatches

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    24th day was the latest I've ever had hatch, and that was only once.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you're hatching after day 21 your temps are probably a little too low, or you're starting your daily count too early.

That being said, chicken eggs have been known to hatch as late as day 26 before.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    I've also had day 24 hatches. (Due to lower temps.) Wait......

5. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    If you're hatching after day 21 your temps are probably a little too low, or you're starting your daily count too early.

Do chicks in this situation do well? I mean, if the temps have run lower and it takes them a day or two longer?​

6. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had some temp problems on my last incubation. It is now 3 days late and I was going to discard the eggs, but I hear crackling and peeping all of a sudden. So it can happen!!!!

7. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    day 25

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Day 25 here, too...but I had to watch them for not getting shrink wrapped. Their down was LONG and they tended to have slightly curly feathers when they started getting their regular feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by