Anyone have an idea?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandislovak, Apr 5, 2017.

1. brandislovak

brandislovak Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2017
    I as told she/he is a silver top hat about 1-2 weeks old she/he is the only survivor from being shipped in a snow storm. What do y'all think? [​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  3. brandislovak

Apr 5, 2017
    Another question she/he breaths harder then the rest of my peeps and is kinda blah (maybe just tired or stressed for todays move) but she/he ran around the floor with the rest and has eaten any ideas about the breathing? (New chicken mom here)

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    What is the temperature in the brooder?

5. brandislovak

Apr 5, 2017
    Im not sure i just cleaned it and cant find the thermometer im looking for it as im walking around typing what should it be for her/him supposedly she/hes 1-2 weeks old but its is very tiny. Compared to my 3 week olds and she/he can move away from the heat if it wants.

6. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    75-80ยบ

7. brandislovak

Apr 5, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Aww look she/he is up running around amd eating! I have her/him with my 1/2 week olds because the 3 week olds are giants to her/him But he/she still breaths hard do you think its from being shipped in a snowstorm that she/he seems kind of frail?

8. brandislovak

Apr 5, 2017
    Its 78 in there right now (i found the thermometer)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Tiny might need more heat- she's younger and smaller and probably a bad start since only she survived the shipping. You might try 85-90F for a week and see how she does, the others will move away if it bothers them.

I would watch to see that none of them are bullying her away from food & water, or picking on her because she is smaller & weaker (?) Having bigger chicks run over her or knock her around can be exhausting.

I like to err on the side of caution. I would probably put her in her own little brooder, with a stuffed animal to cuddle up to & a mirror so she could see another chick. Maybe after a week of two she would be more active without breathing heavy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. brandislovak

Apr 5, 2017
    Tiny (I love that) is in with the 4 day olds the others were attacking her feet and wouldn't stop but from where I got tiny yesterday tiny was in with about 20 others today is my first full day with the peep and it seems much more active this morning running around with the 4 4day olds that are with it but still breathing heavy compared to the others. Do you think tiny is okay with the 4 day olds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by