Anyone have an opinion about my duck eggs? pics pg 2.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr., Aug 7, 2010.

1. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    Durring the day my ducks are out by my dogs kennel and at night they are out by the night street light. where are they more likely to have their eggs at? I found a duck egg in the middle of my front yard so i know they're laying now (they're 21 weeks old), and i dont want racoons or other critters to steal their eggs so im going to incubate them myself. I just dont know where to start looking for them.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. Chloe

Chloe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I guess the best thing to do is spend some time watching them, I think they are more likely to lay somewhere private, like in the bushes or something, so try looking in places like that, and good luck!

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    My ducks get locked up at night in their duck house. Every morning when I go let them out I am greated with the eggs. They lay at first light, first thing in the morning. Rarely will a girl need to stay behind to finish laying an egg. Hope this helps.

4. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    Absolutely Helps! In the early morning, I will staart putting their swimming pool in a private secure place so it that when they lay they will lay close by (i hope).

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    What fun! Treasure hunting every morning! [​IMG]

The best bet really is to lock them into a secure enclosure at night, but if that's not practical then your plan sounds pretty good. They will figure out that you are "stealing" the eggs and will start to lay them elsewhere eventually. Just fair warning! [​IMG]

6. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    I was told they shouldnt even be laying because the time of year is closing in to fall.

7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    What kind of ducks do you have? My runners and buffs lay early in the morning but my Muscovy saves it for her dash under the car. I've never had a fresh Muscovy egg. She always manages to hide them until she starts not showing up at night to be locked up because she's sitting on eggs.

8. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    This is a list of ducks I have that ARE old enough to breed.

1.) Flip: Ancona/Magpie hen

2.) Flop: Ancona/Magpie hen (?)

3.) Benjamin Franklin: Rouen drake

4.) Princess Heart Star Christine: Rouen hen

5.) Heathcliff: (indian ?) Runner hen

6.) Mama duck: Black Swedish hen

The following are the ducks that may not be old enough to lay until next year; although ya never know.

7.) Shaggy: Rouen drake

8.) Velma: Rouen hen

9.) Daphanie: Black Swedish cross hen (Mama Duck's baby)

10.) Scooby: Black Swedish/Pekin cross hen (Mama Duck's baby)

11.) Fred: Muscovy (maybe cross) gender unknown

12.) Spider Duck (It's a funny story): Chocolate Muscovy/? (maybe cross) gender unknown

13.) Ducky Lucky: Blue Muscovy (maybe cross) gender unknown

These 2 MIGHT be old enough to breed. I got them from auction but they are very large already.

14.) Foxy Loxy: Pekin (?)-(maybe cross) hen (in pretty sure)

15.) Goosy Lucy: Pekin (?)-(maybe cross) hen (im pretty sure)

I had about 26 ducks at one point, but something kept getting them. I started turning my dog loose durring the night, which was ricky cause she is a Lab, but they stopped disappearing.

The bold indicates where I made corrections

9. Chloe

Chloe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Ireland
    whats the funny story about spider duck? [​IMG]

10. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    I bought Spider Duck, Foxy Loxy, Goosy lucy, and Ducky Lucky all from auction a couple weeks ago. I was afraid they would take off if they werent used to being here so I pinned up Goosy and Foxy in 1 pen and the other 2 in a 4x3x3 cage (for the day). I went inside for a little bit and heard a comotion outside. Thinking it was my Lab trying to get them, i went outside quietly so I could catch her in action. Well, I was wrong. What I saw was a chocolate Muscovy in the corner of the cage climbing up the side of it. It was so desprite to get out and away, it was climbing all the way up looking for an "out" in the cage. When it finally got to the top, it hung upside down for a few seconds before attempting to walk on the "ceiling". It made it about 2 steps upside down before falling back down 3 feet and starting all over again. I was SOOOO amazed! And in shock too. It reminded me of spider man in the movie when he first learned he could climb walls. Except my "Spidy" is a duck and did eventually fall.

lol, Spider duck is 1 of my favorites!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by