**ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE??***

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksct, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    SOOOOOOO..... WE GOT THE CALL ABOUT NOON THAT WE WILL BE GETTING OUR 12 BO CHICKS @ 5PM TODAY!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I WON'T BE HOME UNTIL 5:30 BUT DH AND DS WILL BE THERE! IT'S OUR FIRST BATCH AND WE'RE ALL REALLY EXCITED! WE'VE BEEN PREPARED SINCE ABOUT THE END OF APRIL BUT NOW THAT THEY'RE COMING SEEMS LIKE THERE'S SOOOOO MUCH TO DO! ANYONE HAVE ANY LAST MINUTE TIPS OR TRICKS?
    tHEY HAVE BEEN TAKEN CARE OF FOR ABOUT A DAY BY THE WOMAN WE PURCHASED THEM FROM. SHE'S MADE SURE THEY'RE EATING AND DRINKING WITH NO PROBLEMS.
    ANY LAST MINUTE ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS A MILLION!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. Featherwisp

Featherwisp Songster

May 18, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Make sure the heat lamp is turned on, the brooder lined with pine shavings/paper towels/ what ever you are planning on using, and the feeder and waterer are full.
    When I first got my chickies home, I wish I would have gotten all of this stuff done before hand...it would have saved me a lot of time!
    Also, it will take them a while to figure out where the food and water is. Dont be surprised if they seem really active then start passing out all over the place, they are just babies, and all of the excitement is tiring!
    Good luck with your new chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. sunnydelight

sunnydelight Hatching

May 25, 2009
    Hi from Wisconsin, It is exciting! I raised chickens when I was young and now again when I'm 68 and my only advice would be to get them out asap, they'll be healthier for it. Mine were out in a week and are now 3 weeks old and out all day, they have a fenced in yard, and I put them in the coop at night. Good luck!!!!!!!!

4. ksct

ksct Songster

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    THANK YOU THANK YOU! I THINK I'M JUST GETTING NERVOUS NOW THAT THE TIME IS FINALLY HERE!!!! DH HAS THE LAMP ON NOW FOR AND HAS BEEN FOR ABOUT AN HOUR NOW. CAN'T GET OUT OF WORK EARLY SO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES TO SEE THEM!
    I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! FINALLY!!!!! [​IMG]

5. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Songster

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Have fun with your new little babies!! [​IMG]

6. GAchick

GAchick Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:Last minute advice?? Calm down and enjoy them. They are (generally) tougher than they look.

7. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    hmmmm what kind of chicks & remember pictures...... And whomever said don't be surprised when they pass out she is not kidding. I swear there are times that I go over & watch to make sure they're breathing..... They truly look like they've "dropped where they stood" LOL it's a fun time enjoy! [​IMG]

8. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Songster

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    I'M SOOOO JEALOUS!!!!! Can't wait for that phone call.... June 28th or so. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: